Neutron HiFi™ DAC V1 device

Support questions for Neutron HiFi™ DAC V1 devices only (http://neutronhifi.com/devices/dac/v1).
dmitrykos
Site Admin

Neutron HiFi™ DAC V1 device

Post by dmitrykos » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:44 am

Neutron HiFi™ DAC V1 - hi-res audio USB DAC device is released :!:

ImageImage

It supports up to 32-bit/384 kHz PCM and up to DSD256. It is wearable and intended for use with any mobile device or PC.

The design is without compromise for quality of materials used for exterior - metal, Gorilla Glass 3. Internally it is technically advanced to deliver audiophile-grade hi-res audio and provide additional advanced DSP functionality not normally available for such USB DAC devices, such as: 10-band 2-channel Parametric EQ, Crossfeed, Balance. DSP is based on the same core as used for Neutron Player and Neutron Recorder apps - quality proven with time.

We equipped our devices with informative OLED display, so you will know for sure what digital format is being converted to audio. OLED display changes orientation of indication depending on device rotation - easy to use.

Device can send additional media commands to the OS if you tap its body with a finger and it can be configured with companion app - NConfigurator.

NConfigurator app can be installed on Windows, Linux and macOS PC and allows to tune functionality of DAC V1, including OTA updates of its firmware.

Device presentation:
https://neutronhifi.com/devices/dac/v1

Full specification:
https://neutronhifi.com/devices/dac/v1/details

Dedicated forum thread on Audio Science Review (ASR) forum:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... st-1965502

Any questions? Please, post here.

blaubär

Re: Welcome our Neutron HiFi™ DAC V1 device!

Post by blaubär » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:08 pm

Okay, so who should buy this ? Everybody of course :D but apart from that
- people who like to get the best possible DAC, even without regarding the built-in DSP ?
- people who would like to use a good DSP but for some reason don't use the Neutron app ?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:09 pm

blaubär, I reply Yes on both your questions.

Here is reasoning:

> - people who like to get the best possible DAC, even without regarding the built-in DSP ?

Yes, it is great without any DSP of course. The design is well thought and went through 4 iterations until it reached the best possible noise performance and compactness of the design (device is quite small, taking into account that it has OLED display). Power delivered to active components is ultra-low noise, 2 oscillators are sourcing ultra-low phase noise clock to the DAC chip, PCB layout is taking into account surrounding noise and etc.

Firmware is pure own development from the ground, so it performs fully correct and processes incoming digital audio data without any issues with internal buffering. Device is using Asynchronous USB transfers and manages feedback to the host correctly, so you won't get pops & click on any OS.

OLED display reports audio format fully, e.g. not only frequency but bits too, so you will know for sure what exactly device is receiving and what sound to expect.

And what is most important - close contact to the developer ;) Similarly to Neutron Player & Recorder apps wishes, proposals will be taken into account and may affect new functionality introduced via firmware updates (DAC V1 supports OTA updates via NConfigurator companion app). For example, customization of the oversampling filter can be implemented in the future, so users would be able to model own filter and get own, desired sound signature.

> - people who would like to use a good DSP but for some reason don't use the Neutron app ?

Yes, it was the main motivation behind the proposal of DSP with DAC V1. For example, you can listen to YouTube Music or and other music sources not delivered by Neutron Player and use the same quality of Parametric EQ as in Neutron Player (code is the same, only number of bands is limited due to MCU frequency not comparable to normal CPU). The same is with Crossfeed.

Another good example of using Neutron's EQ built into DAC V1 is when user has issues with hearing and for example one ear needs frequency adjustment - DAC V1 will serve well in this case, it is possible to adjust DAC's DSP to own hearing and then use any app or even Neutron with its DSP normally because DAC V1 will deliver sound adjusted to the custom hearing profile.

When DAC V1's DSP is activated then it will limit PCM max frequency to 192 kHz but still it is a good tradeoff between discussed benefits of using onboard DSP.

DAC V1 supports bit-perfect Balance which is applied inside the DAC chip and is not limiting PCM frequency, so this DSP functionality does not affect bit-perfect output at all but allows to adjust balance for own hearing.

NConfigurator offers the same database of AutoEQ FRC presets, so you can adjust frequency response for your headphones on DAC V1 and then listen to any audio source, not just via Neutron Player.

Further more, if onboard DSP is appreciated then other effects can be added, for example Compressor. Basically only MCU performance is the limiting factor but, still, it allows to do quite a lot.

Bjrmd

Post by Bjrmd » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:19 pm

Hi Dmitry,

Congrats on the new product.
What is the output impedance of the device?
I may have missed it on the spec sheet.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:24 pm

Bjrmd wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:19 pm
What is the output impedance of the device?
Seems to work with all normal headphones :

32 Ohm ->1.257 / 1.262 Vrms -> 48 mW
600 Ohm -> 2.03 Vrms -> 7 mW
100 kOhm -> 2.033 Vrms -> 0.04 mW

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:30 am

Hi Bjrmd! Thank you for your good wishes, development of devices took a whiiiiile ... but resulted in a really nice device regarding power consumption, audio performance and smartness (its firmware is our own development).

Output Impedance = <0.6Ω

Updated datasheet.

rlw6534

Post by rlw6534 » Wed May 01, 2024 5:37 pm

I seem to be having issues with AutoEQ with the MacOS version of the app (1.5.0). The app seems to be having trouble parsing the data from AutoEQ with some devices listed multiple times and some not loading all 10 bands of PEQ. Sennheiser IE 300 is an example, note the HS filter isn't loaded and the device is listed multiple times but the data loaded doesn't change if you select other versions listed.

Also, how do I save PEQ presets? I have manually entered some AutoEQ values but when I reconnect the device the Q and frequency values have reset back to defaults.

rlw6534

Post by rlw6534 » Thu May 02, 2024 3:59 pm

One thing I have figured out is that you have to press "Enter" after making changes to the numeric values for Q and frequency for the values to actually be saved to the DAC (and retrieved when reconnecting). Still having some issues with AutoEQ.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu May 02, 2024 4:48 pm

@rlw6534

> some devices listed multiple times and some not loading all 10 bands of PEQ

Database is maintained by AutoEQ project (https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq) and sometimes data issues happen but it is outside our control. What we can do, and any other user, report an issue to AutoEQ's GitHub repo and hope for a fix. Multiple copies are coming from multiple measurements, you can check AutoEQ's page that for the same headset there are several sources of measurements.

But, NConfigurator could show the source of measurement like Neutron Player does it - so it will be improved in the next NConfigurator's update. Thank you for pointing to this issue.

It is how AutoEQ presets will look after an update:

> some not loading all 10 bands of PEQ

Can be an issue of AutoEQ. Next NConfigurator update will have an updated database, similarly to Neutron Player.

> you have to press "Enter" after making changes to the numeric values for Q and frequency for the values to actually be saved to the DAC

Yes, User Manual mentions it. It is made to avoid spamming the internal Flash memory with super many writes.

rlw6534

Post by rlw6534 » Thu May 02, 2024 5:38 pm

Thanks for the reply. Maybe a database update will sort the AutoEQ issue, the data in the NConfigurator app (for IE 300) seems to be the Crinacle 4620 with the high shelf missing regardless of which version you select. I can manually type it in to fix it. Is there a way to save custom EQ that I am missing so I don't have to type it in every time I change things around and customize for different IEMs?

I'm sure you know this but using the gain sliders really spams the flash memory, I noticed it when looking at the command window when I tried Windows OS.