SMB

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: SMB

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:46 am

Hi Paul,

Have you tried specifying direct path to your NAS's share, e.g.:

\\MY-NAS-IP\share_name

Please note leading \\ are obligatory. Also do you have password protection enabled on NAS?

Since 1.70 Neutron will support enumeration of shares of Windows 7/8 and may be your NAS is also not supporting the enumeration packet used in pre 1.70 too. Let's see how it works after the release but direct path must work.

Dmitry.

pauldroid

Post by pauldroid » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi Dmitry,
Yes I tried that. When I do that I can press on the share name and it shows on a new page with a refresh-type button next to it (which turns red when I press it), but I cannot navigate any further down. When I try it just flashes blue but nothing else happens. If I press the tick icon the share appears in the source list (Nas\sharename) but below that it says ERROR:Zero path!

If I do the same to my Windows XP machine I can instantly browse to directories below the share.

I hope that 1.70 will solve my problem. If not, I am willing to help with debugging.

Thanks,
Paul

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi Paul,

> but I cannot navigate any further down

It means the share is not browsable, unfortunately.

1.70 is out. Could you please try it.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

pauldroid

Post by pauldroid » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:17 pm

Hi Dmitry,
I have tried 1.70 - unfortunately with the same result.

As I said before I'm willing to help with debugging or trying out new suggestions.

Thanks,
Paul

c0d3r

Post by c0d3r » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:45 am

Hi,

for Build 1.70, Scanning an NAS folder which includes 212 files took very long time to finish.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:48 pm

pauldroid, I am very sorry for the delayed reply. As I understood 1.70 did not allow you browsing shares of NAS. It may be the case (if it is really possible) that your NAS software does not operate in the SMB/CIFS dialect Neutron supports. In such situation debugging is only possible if I have connection to such NAS device and manage to connect it with my dev. system. If it is possible for you to open your NAS to the Internet (and password protect it) then I could connect it by its IP and see what the problem is. If such connection is possible I am ready to debug and fix: neutronmp@gmail.com.

c0d3r, it depends on nature of other files, besides music files. Do you have some video files too in the path? They are taking quite a lot of time to parse format and etc. Also matters network latency from your device to NAS. On WiFi it can be 20 - 100 or even 800! milliseconds that slows down things.

mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:30 pm

I too am having problems with smb and Neutron on my playbook.

The 1.7 upgrade does now list (after a delay) my smb shares.
I have (temporarily) two nas connected - a readynas duo and a zyxel325.
Both show up when I try to add a network share.

The readynas can be selected and then I can choose which folders to add to the database.
Scanning the new database is very slow but it does work.

The Zyxel however results in the "No directories" message and so shows no folders.
The Zyxel shares show up fine in Kalemsoft, ES file and Ghost file explorers. And of course they can be accessed on my iPad and Android phone - it is only Neutron which is unable to do so. It is the Zyxel which I want to keep as it is much faster than the Readynas so would be most grateful if you can track down the problem.

Also when I select adding a network source, under the blue network there are five of my failed attempts to enter the full share address and I am unable to remove them. How can I get rid of them?

the_impossible_dream

Post by the_impossible_dream » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:15 am

mikeywilliams wrote:I too am having problems with smb and Neutron on my playbook.

The 1.7 upgrade does now list (after a delay) my smb shares.
I have (temporarily) two nas connected - a readynas duo and a zyxel325.
Both show up when I try to add a network share.

The readynas can be selected and then I can choose which folders to add to the database.
Scanning the new database is very slow but it does work.

The Zyxel however results in the "No directories" message and so shows no folders.
The Zyxel shares show up fine in Kalemsoft, ES file and Ghost file explorers. And of course they can be accessed on my iPad and Android phone - it is only Neutron which is unable to do so. It is the Zyxel which I want to keep as it is much faster than the Readynas so would be most grateful if you can track down the problem.

Also when I select adding a network source, under the blue network there are five of my failed attempts to enter the full share address and I am unable to remove them. How can I get rid of them?
I don't know if this will help anyone but I was having problems as well with my Playbook and Windows 7 shares through Neutron. What finally solved my problem was using the correct user account name and password in setting up the network source. I was assuming that the name and password that Neutron was looking for was the one set up specifically for Windows network sharing. Turns out the name and password I needed were the Windows account name and password that I log into Windows with. IF you have not tried that yet, give it a shot.

Also, as for the failed attempts under the network source, I had the same issue and had to uninstall and reinstall the program to get rid of them. I wound up doing that many times.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:35 pm

> How can I get rid of them?

To delete network entry which was saved as a result of auth info change -> long press on entry and [DELETE] in its properties window (just scroll the list where you see buttons ADDRESS, LOGIN, ...).

> Zyxel

Do you see its shares enumerated by Neutron or Neutron is showing only IP and if you tap on it NO DIRECTORIES HERE?

mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:37 pm

Thanks for the tip. I managed to delete the unwanted entries. I'd never scrolled down far enough to see the delete option.

Re the network shares - this is what I do:
Sources
+
Tap on the blue NETWORK word.
This gives: 192.168.0.30[ti0]
This is the address of my playbook.
Nothing happens till I click on it and then after 10 seconds or so my shares are listed (5 of them, 3 computers and two NAS boxes).
One of the shares is :
WORKGROUP
This is my Zyxel NAS325
Tap on it and I get the No Directories message.
All the other shares show folders when I tap them and I can add wanted folders to the database.

Hope this helps you sort out the problem and many thanks for taking the trouble to try.