Database Refresh

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
neilcperks

Database Refresh

Post by neilcperks » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:48 am

Hi Dmitry,

As my music collection is on my network drive and using SMB to access it, there are a couple of issues which arise.

1. Neutron seems to want to refresh pretty frequently (without me asking it to); the problem with this is it takes well over an hour to refresh the database on the network drive (about 400 albums). So when I sit down to enjoy some music it often immediately starts a refresh, which disables the programme for over an hour, by which time my listening time has gone. I understand that as it's on a network and it may take a bit longer to refresh, but over 1 hour seems excessive ;). Is it possible to disable refresh unless I tell it to do so ? If it is, what switches/buttons do I need to activate/deactivate ?

2.Also not quite worked out the difference between Refresh and Reload. I tried a reload the other day, but it just seemed to initiate a refresh. I had just updated a cover graphic in one of the albums, but that seemed to initiate a full 1 hour plus refresh. Is it possible just to update the one item ?

Still enjoying and getting used to it's quirks :D

Cheers

Neil

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Database Refresh

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Hi Neil! :)

> Is it possible to disable refresh unless I tell it to do so ? If it is, what switches/buttons do I need to activate/deactivate ?

Yes of course: Neutron UI -> Playlist screen -> scroll to Sources and enter to it -> switch off [Refresh] button on SMB sources.

> Refresh and Reload

Refresh is fast operation which is checking for removed files which were previously registered in Neutron's database and checking for new in source folders. These files are music files and image files (album art). So if you add/remove album art image files you can user Refresh.

Rescanning is slow process and it is equal to creation of new source, e.g. every music file is opened and scanned. Rescanning is necessary if tags of music files were updated, or embedded art.

In future versions I hope SMB/CIFS performance will be improved by combining network requests.

Best regards,
Dmitry.