SMB Scan Aborts after about 85% through

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: SMB Scan Aborts after about 85% through

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:11 pm

What if you create any folder inside /Public/Music, e.g. /Public/Music/Test and copy just one music file there. Then try creating source entry and select just /Public/Music/Test will Neutron crash anyway?

Duffy Moon

Post by Duffy Moon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:21 pm

I'm not able to select anything inside the Music folder though, as the app closes when I select it and press the tick button. I could try creating a folder within Public with one file in it.

Duffy Moon

Post by Duffy Moon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:40 pm

OK. I figured out that one should just touch the radio button to select source folder. Now when I try this with the Music folder, it starts to scan. It shows a zero and the path, then crashes.

I did try creating a folder in the Public folder with one music file and that is found, scanned and plays perfectly.
Very frustrating!

Interestingly, when using a file explorer, I can access and download music files from the NAS to my phone with no problems, so it's clearly accessible.

adlelare

Post by adlelare » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:56 pm

dimi,

to continue this thread as i also am having the same issue with SMB (same error messages). FYI i have Neutron installed on both Android (mulitple) and 1 Playbook devices. So here is what is happening with me, on my NAS i have various directories for flac, mp3 and highdef (primarily stripped from DVD's) audio files. About 8300 files in the flac directory. ON all devices within the flac directory Neutron stops scanning around 4k of files, now first thing i then did was move 2.3gb of really large files out of flac, scan then went to 4300 files but then only showed 4k of files (and the missing files were from it seems randomly omitted sub-directories (based on artist). The mp3 directory scanned over 6500 files and showed over 5000. Now interestingly while all were 192.168.1.111 when i set each directory as a different "source" in Neutorn i and got over 9K of files to eventually show. So is the issue related to limit by source based on something other than # of files. PS as you work through this is there any way to implement a buffer, one of my droid devices (a Minix Neo x7) is hard wired (network) and songs never skip but on my wireless devices (some at 2.4 and others at 5) will stop playing at times for a second or two and then restart (i assume interference from other wireless devices). I use JRiver as my PC audio player and it has a user set buffering that works well. PS still loving neutron after all this time.

Duffy Moon

Post by Duffy Moon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:21 am

Interesting that the flac directory is more problematic because pretty much all my music is in that format. Perhaps there's an issues scanning a large amount of flac files?
What would be useful would be a Windows tool to create an index file which could be read by Neutron. Failing that, the ability to read, say a Foobar playlist (I always make one containing my entire music library) and then to be able to edit the paths so that Neutron could locate the files remotely.

adlelare

Post by adlelare » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:57 pm

so to end my journey on SMB and hopefully help someone else...through investigation (i added various directories as separate sources) i determined i had 1 file was not "readable" by Neutron. (it is a Prince song from a Wolfgangs vault (a great music service of over 10000 live concerts from the 60's to present) download of a live concert and there were 13 songs in the concert in total) and it turns out the song name "005-Doug E Fresh Intro and Jam containing- Also Sprach Zarathustra - Heaven Must Be Like This - Eric B For President - The Show - La Di Da Di - Bustin' Loose - Asswhuppin In A Trunk" (i kid you not) was too long a string as when i shortened it to "Doug...containing" it was read without problem... hope this helps others having issues.

Duffy Moon

Post by Duffy Moon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:14 pm

Thanks for the possible solution. If that's the sole issue, then hopefully it would be possible to modify Neutron to read longer strings. I certainly can't go through the thousands of music files I have, trying to find long file names! That is, unless someone knows a fast way of doing it.

Duffy Moon

Post by Duffy Moon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Any hope of a fix? The latest update made no difference. :(

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:30 am

> 005-Doug E Fresh Intro and Jam containing- Also Sprach Zarathustra - Heaven Must Be Like This - Eric B For President - The Show - La Di Da Di - Bustin' Loose - Asswhuppin In A Trunk

The string length limit could be imposed by SMB protocol. In Neutron strings are allocated dynamically and thus limited only by the memory size of the process. Anyway will try to reproduce this behavior and mention where limitation is happening.

posnerisgod

Post by posnerisgod » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:08 pm

The latest update caused my scanning problem. Any way to get the prior version?