Unjustified error message

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
lightpsycho

Unjustified error message

Post by lightpsycho » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:02 pm

Hello

Since I installed an AOSP 4.3 based ROM, I've been getting a strange error message from Neutron sometimes when I listen to an album and the player switches to the next song. It says something about Neutron running out of memory and to free up RAM...! Thing is, when I had this error, I had 1GB free RAM on my Galaxy S3! I never had actual issues following this message, it's just that it gets annoying.

Any ideas?

Simmelweiser

Re: Unjustified error message

Post by Simmelweiser » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:05 pm

Modded phones are prone to strange, cryptic issues. Im assuming you are rooted? If so, there are programs available that could list your phone's logs (in real-time even). If you know what to look for you might find the conflict or whatever it is.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:17 pm

Out of memory errors are happening in Neutron's JAVA interface which is Neutron's glue to Android OS. Out of memory is happening when NULL object was referenced (operation on NULL). Normally it must not happen. Custom ROMs can be a source of uncommon bugs & behavior unfortunately.

albireox

Post by albireox » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi all,

The same happens on the Galaxy S4 (i9505) and CM10.2 (or CM variants like SlimBean). I have around 650MB free RAM. Is there any workaround to not have this message displayed?

@lightpsycho, are your sure you had 1GB RAM free on the S3 (which has somewhere around 800MB in total)? I remember having lots of issues caused by low RAM memory available on this device.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:06 am

It can be not low memory but some system (OS) API is returning NULL somewhere constantly. Normally NULL in Java can be a consequence of low memory and thus Neutron is throwing that message. May be you have some specific CM10.2 build which is not working right?

albireox

Post by albireox » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:26 pm

dmitrykos wrote:It can be not low memory but some system (OS) API is returning NULL somewhere constantly. Normally NULL in Java can be a consequence of low memory and thus Neutron is throwing that message. May be you have some specific CM10.2 build which is not working right?
Thanks for the reply. I don't know, it could be because of the CM10.2 (I use SlimBean variant, which I think works great on the S4).
One more thing I noticed, when I skip songs in the Neutron Mini widget, the widget keeps displaying the same song at least until the album name changes and after that, only the first song in the album is displayed correctly. Not sure if this is also because of the ROM, but I think is worth checking out.

lightpsycho

Post by lightpsycho » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:07 pm

albireox wrote:
dmitrykos wrote:It can be not low memory but some system (OS) API is returning NULL somewhere constantly. Normally NULL in Java can be a consequence of low memory and thus Neutron is throwing that message. May be you have some specific CM10.2 build which is not working right?
Thanks for the reply. I don't know, it could be because of the CM10.2 (I use SlimBean variant, which I think works great on the S4).
One more thing I noticed, when I skip songs in the Neutron Mini widget, the widget keeps displaying the same song at least until the album name changes and after that, only the first song in the album is displayed correctly. Not sure if this is also because of the ROM, but I think is worth checking out.
I have T999V Galaxy S3 which has 2GB of RAM, this is not like the LTE versions which only have one GB. Ironically...I also use Slimbean 4.3 beta 5! Geez thats kinda of a great coincidence! And I also did get the "song not changing" in the widget issue...! If I go back in the player then the widget gets updated with the new song title...

albireox

Post by albireox » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:52 pm

lightpsycho wrote:
I have T999V Galaxy S3 which has 2GB of RAM, this is not like the LTE versions which only have one GB. Ironically...I also use Slimbean 4.3 beta 5! Geez thats kinda of a great coincidence! And I also did get the "song not changing" in the widget issue...! If I go back in the player then the widget gets updated with the new song title...
Sorry, I didn't knew that. Yes, that's probably a Slimbean thing(or even CM10.2 related), I'll try today a stock rom and see how it goes with both of these issues. I'll report back ;).

albireox

Post by albireox » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:49 am

Everything seem to work on the Samsung stock rom. Question is, what can we do to have a fully functional Neutron player on CM10.2?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:59 am

Most probably CM10.2 has unresolved bugs and in certain situation somewhere inside the interface API which Neutron is using NULLs are returned, instead of healthy objects but it can be also possible that crash is happening inside the ROM on some Neutron's function calls.

I tried Neutron on stock 4.3 emulator image and Neutron is working fine on it too.

To debug the problem and find workaround will have to flash CM10.2 to one of devices, will put it into to-do.