error of Korean font

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
dorockhun

error of Korean font

Post by dorockhun » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:35 am

I bought Neutron music player via Google Play Market for my G2.
After updating yesterday, every songs whose file names are written in Korean appear as rectangles.
Attachments
error.png
error.png (186.42 KiB) Viewed 8285 times

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: error of Korean font

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:06 am

Hi!

There was change in 1.75 regarding Korean but it could not affect others. In newest Samsung ROMs Korean is in SamsungKorean.ttf, so Neutron is looking it up, if not found falling back to other fonts. So only SamsungKorean.ttf was added into a font search. Did you have previous version working correctly? Do you have possibility to access /system/fonts folder on your device?

dorockhun

Post by dorockhun » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:12 am

G2 is made by LG, not Samsung.
Therefore, in the system/font folder, there is no SamsungKorean.ttf.
Instead of it, LG_Dialfont.ttf, LG_SmartGothic-Bold.ttf , etc. there are many LG_blabla.ttf fonts.

Before updating, some of Korean songs appeared incorrectly. They appeared as broken characters (not just rectangles).
And most of songs appeared correctly.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:23 am

Is there possibility to have a full list of LG fonts? E.g. I am interested to Korean specific. As you noticed Samsung named them SamsungKorean.ttf, so may be there is something similar in LG_ family?

As to file tags: Neutron does not support obsolete codepages per country but supports fully UTF-8, UTF-16 and UTF-32 unicode standard. Very often tags are not encoded in UTF and thus Neutron will show wrong characters. Could you please e-mail to neutronmp@gmail.com one file as example for checking, to be sure that it is strictly font support issue.

dorockhun

Post by dorockhun » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:36 am

I sent you an e-mail.
Thank you for your kind response :)

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:10 am

Thank you very much! :) Got your kind e-mail and will keep you updated on this matter.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:14 pm

I checked the e-mailed music file. It has Korean specific encoding, not UTF and thus Neutron will not display such tags correctly. My advise is to make music database as portable as possible (hardware players will also like UTF) and convert metadata to UTF-8 format. It can be done with free PC app Mp3Tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/). Simply drag & drop top-level music folder to it, select all entries (Ctrl + A) and press Save button. Tags will be resaved to UTF-8. Make sure you made a backup of music files just in case something goes wrong.

dorockhun

Post by dorockhun » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:41 am

hm... I sent one more e-mail...

The music file that I gave you was also changed to UTF-8 tag...

It worked correctly in last Neutron MP version.

Would you check one more time please?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:05 pm

Finally the bug was localized. It was inside the code which was trying to find the Korean font using the list of known system Android fonts. Sadly due to typo (that is why it was difficult to catch it) 1.75.0 on some Android firmwares will have no Korean glyphs. Next update will fix it. Thank you very much for pointing to the issue and for your kind help with files! :)