Playlist bug

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
rs219

Playlist bug

Post by rs219 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:52 pm

Can you explain how Neutron "remembers" the Album and Song currently playing so that after the Samsung Galaxy Player 4 turns off and then turns on, it will be remembered exactly where it was?

As it stands, I think there is a bug. I have 10 folders, each one an album on my player. One of those albums is Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon. For some reason, not matter what other album I am playing, when I turn off and then turn on the player Neutron automatically plays the first song from this album.

When playing another album, I have tried just about everything I think of when playing a different album:

* Pause a song while in player mode
* Pause a song while in playlist mode
* Turn off the play altogether while the song is still playing

Nothing works. Turning on the player and then starting Neutron always returns to Dark Side Of The Moon and automatically starts to play the 1st song.

If there is an Android screen snapshot program you can recommend, I can visually show you what is happening. This is very, very annoying and I always have to remember what song in what album was last being played so that I can continue listening.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Playlist bug

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Sorry it took longer to reply! :) Anyway. Neutron will remember track / track position / queue / levels of playlist screen since 1.45+ which will come today live. It wasn't implemented before and thus you could not achieve wanted behavior. Only possibility was to have Settings -> Service ON then Neutron would remain as background service and would remember all its states (this is recommended way, background task does not use CPU and just takes 10 Mb of memory).

rs219

Post by rs219 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:59 pm

dmitrykos wrote:Sorry it took longer to reply! :) Anyway. Neutron will remember track / track position / queue / levels of playlist screen since 1.45+ which will come today live. It wasn't implemented before and thus you could not achieve wanted behavior. Only possibility was to have Settings -> Service ON then Neutron would remain as background service and would remember all its states (this is recommended way, background task does not use CPU and just takes 10 Mb of memory).
Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I update to 1.45+ today?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:54 pm

You can do it through Android Market. 1.45.1 is already published, or download NEON version from Neutron web-site if you have device with NEON powered CPU.

rs219

Post by rs219 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:41 pm

It would appear that I already have 1.45.1. This must have been an automatic update (which is turned on).

But, 1.45.1 does not solve the problem. After pausing a song, then turn off the Samsung Galaxy 4 Player, then turn on the Samsung Galaxy 4 Player and run Neutron --- Neutron continues to go back to song#1 from Dark Side Of The Moon. This is driving me bananas and I have to write down what the last dong played in another album is in order to continue listening to an album after the player is turned off.

Can you please re-investigate this problem and provide a better fix? Is there anything you need from me?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:54 pm

Ok, I will look once more into the problem. But for me track position is always restored. How do you turn off player? You paused the playback and then exit from UI before switching player off completely?

rs219

Post by rs219 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:59 pm

I pause the playback and then either power off while still in the UI or exit the UI and then power off - same problem in both cases.

rs219

Post by rs219 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:20 pm

One observation about this bad behavior. Without what I consider the workaround (kill the process before ppower off), NMP wants to show the next album that has a photo!

After finishing the playback for Dark Side Of The Moon, I deleted the album. When I powered the player back on, it wanted to play Jagged Little Pill (Alanis Morissette) which was the 3rd album overall, but the 1st album that had a photo. When I think back about Dark Side Of The Moon, it was also the 3rd album overall but 1st album with a photo.

Perhaps a clue that is useful?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:10 pm

Hmm, no advantage to albums with album art is given in Neutron. May be such order happened whenNeutron refreshed DB and simply chose what was staying as first entry in Songs section because position to deleted album could not be restored.

rs219

Post by rs219 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:52 pm

It's not so much that Neutron is favoring it, I think it is a path in the code. The workaround to kill the process still does not work very well because it seems to be a persistent process. After I kill the process and then go back in to managing processes, it reappears.

After more experimentation, here is a list of times when Neutron goes back to the first album with album art instead of staying on the song it was last playing:

* Power off without killing the process
* Power off without killing the process a 2nd time (after the 2nd time, seems to then work)
* Power off, killing the process a 2nd time, run Neutron - it remembers last song but then press the volume button on my Samsung Galaxy Player 4
* Power off, killing the process a 2nd time, run Neutron - it remembers last song but then touch the EQ on top of the playlist

I would ask again, why can't Neutron "write the state" (artitist/album/song X of Y -or- playlist, volume, etc) in real time so that none of the above would ever be an issue? Notice I added the volume setting to the state - I've never experienced a player that did not remember volume setting.

I would also be more than happy to help you in any way possible to solve this burdensome problem. If you recommend a screen capture to download I can send you screen shots. If you want to send me a diagnostic version of Neutron that will log what is going on when I perform the steps, I'll be happy to do that too.