User Guide?

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
regulus

Re: User Guide?

Post by regulus » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:37 am

How do you know the profit that Neutron yields?
I don't, and I do not pretend to—I only know how it's supposed to work in a sane world (a decent commercial product generates decent profit, then part of that profit is directed by the producer towards further product development and perfection, that sort of thing).

And how do you justify the "right"?
You can't be serious.

Why do I need to justify that, when it's already perfectly justified by the very nature of the traditional sane-world vendor-client relations, by the accumulated to date commercial experience of humanity? (where "the customer is always right", remember?)

Earth to vendor: complex commercial products are usually sold with some soft of user guide, or manual, or something along those lines.

If it is not the case, i.e. the vendor for whatever reason expects users to somehow learn using the product properly without a semi-decent User Guide or Manual, only by countless trials and errors and research and banging head on the wall and using and relying upon various third parties products and experiences—then it would be logical to assume that such an approach may be counter-productive, unlikely to help the product sales and all that.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:32 am

regulus wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:37 am
Earth to vendor: complex commercial products are usually sold with some soft of user guide, or manual, or something along those lines.
Earth to Earth : no, they are not.

I don't know a lot of apps, but I know some quite well, and they don't come with a manual.
The better ones have FAQ, the best ones a properly maintained forum.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:36 am

regulus wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:37 am
Why do I need to justify that, when it's already perfectly justified by the very nature of the traditional sane-world vendor-client relations, by the accumulated to date commercial experience of humanity? (where "the customer is always right", remember?)
Which perhaps shows that this world isn't sane.
Whatever : if we want a manual, we'll have to write one.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:16 pm

The Neutron Music Player Manual still isn't written, but the link shows a collection of useful topics.

Kurt

Playlists vs Manual

Post by Kurt » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:11 pm

blaubär wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:05 am
This topic here is the existing documentation about playlists. There is a list of topics which stand in for a Manual until someone writes a proper one. Which probably won't happen :D - see User Guide? .
Thanks for the info. It somewhat helps...
But, at the risk of being rude (I do NOT have that intention), I am quite stunned to read that there is no proper manual and that it will probably never be written...

This boils down to Neutron selling a product (I think I paid about 40-45 $ or €) and then stating there is no manual for it. In my country it is illegal to sell a product without a manual. (And that means in 3 languages since I live in a multilingual country.)
In order to sell a product well, one of the first requirements is that there is a manual. It is the very first layer of service to a paying customer. Stating that that service will probably never be provided is ... well ... somewhat ... difficult to get to grasps with.

It certainly makes the product less attractive to buy, and I am convinced it costs huge amouts of time for those (like you) who take the trouble to answer all those questions (like mine) time and time again. If a well written manual was available it would save you (and any other person who volunteers to anser questions in this forum) huge chunks of your daily life.

If I may make a suggestion to whoever runs Neutron: priotise any income to having a manual written rather than invest in getting the software even better than it already is. It would mean a huge step forward for this product, both in terms of questions that no longer need to be answered in the forum and the potential to make a larger turn-over. And although Neutron will never be a mainstream app for the big public, I am convinced that investing in a good Manual will pay itself back before long.

Yours respectfully,
Kurt

blaubär

Re: Playlists

Post by blaubär » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:36 pm

Kurt wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:11 pm
In order to sell a product well, one of the first requirements is that there is a manual. It is the very first layer of service to a paying customer. Stating that that service will probably never be provided is ... well ... somewhat ... difficult to get to grasps with.
Well, that's the way it is in the digital world. So far I haven't found a store that would require the apps it sells to provide a manual.
Kurt wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:11 pm
priotise any income to having a manual written rather than invest in getting the software even better
And because these are the rules in this market, without priorizing the development and offering the newest features you won't sell many apps. And while most people will happily complain about a missing manual you won't find many who would be willing to pay for it.

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:30 pm

I can see your point.
However most apps or Software come with a manual (even the free ones).

But more importantly: however right you are that people will not be willing to pay for a manual: a lot of people are willing to pay for an App that does come with a manual. When I paid for Neutron, I naturally assumed it would have a manual. It is taken for granted that one gets a manual (and even extra support) when you pay for a product...I for one miss it enormously as a paying customer (not the extra support, because that IS provided. Unfortunatly it puts a huge burden on the People having to provide this support. A manual could relieve them of so much work they would no longer spend time on, because the manual covers it.) But had I known beforhand that a manual was not available for such a complicated product, I would not have paid for it.

Thus, if Neutron would offer a manual, I believe it would attact manny more buyers. I don't see why the company would choose to lose money over a non existing manual...
Is the goal of any selling company not to make money at the end of the day?

(I can't remember if Neutron also comes as freeware, but I do know it wants to sell. I find it a great product, I really do, but it would sell much better having a good manual.)

Any way, just my 2 bits worth of thoughts... beacause if the company prefers not to make more money, who am I to care?

Thanks for the help!
Kurt

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:43 pm

Kurt wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:30 pm
However most apps or Software come with a manual (even the free ones).
Could you give an example for a ( comparable as to complexity and price ) app from one of the big stores with what you would call a good manual ?

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:44 pm

From the top of my head?
Media Monkey. To name but one.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... or_Android

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:43 pm

Kurt wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:44 pm
From the top of my head?
Media Monkey. To name but one.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... or_Android
There's no MediaMonkey Manual or so they tell me
[...]
Where can I get a user manual?

Not the promo boxes on the website or searching obscure references in the forum. Just a basic .pdf on how to organize and import music. This appears to be a great alternative, finally, to iTunes. There are many people who still like to have a basic manual with an organized table of contents that describes how to do things step-by-step.
[...]
There is none, but the following documentations are available: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=1&t=485
So if that's the best you can show for comparison then I'd say Neutron is very good indeed !