[TIP] Hi-Res Audio for dedicated DAPs

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
zenmastering

Re: [TIP] Hi-Res Audio for dedicated DAPs

Post by zenmastering » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:28 am

FLiNT wrote:Any news regarding "native" DSD support for recent FiiO devices like X7 Mk. II? In the most recent (Play Store) build of Neutron it still has to be converted to 176 kHz PCM, but somebody metioned that this issue might be fixed in the near future on Just Hifi and/or Head-Fi.
+1 Request from me, too. The current version of Neutron seems to work well (in PCM) with the Fiio X7 MkII. DSD, however, seems to cause some issues. When I play a DSD track (64fs, DSF) the interface says '44100'. If I turn 'DSD over DoP' on and off, the interface will now report a sample rate of 176400. Enabling the 'DSD over DoP' setting causes white noise mixed with desired signal at the audio output.

It's a wonderful thing to be able to use the Neutron interface on the Fiio...Fiio's own app is just plain awful, both GUI and reliability-wise.

Cheers,

Graemme

FLiNT

Post by FLiNT » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:08 pm

So the latest build comes with a "Native DSD" option (activated by default), and its description says: "Use native DSD format instead of DoP for output up to DSD512"

What I find confusing is that it is "hidden" inside "DSD, DSD over PCM (DoP)". Does this mean that it only works if you also activate "DSD, DSD over PCM (DoP)" under "Audio Hardware" (which still results in white noise on my FiiO X7MkII)?

It would be nice to know what exactly the following combinations of settings send to the DAC (native DSD stream, DoP, PCM conversion):
"DSD, DSD over PCM (DoP)": ON + "Native DSD": ON = ?
"DSD, DSD over PCM (DoP)": OFF + "Native DSD": ON = ?
"DSD, DSD over PCM (DoP)": ON + "Native DSD": OFF = ?

yaslam

Post by yaslam » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:53 am

Neutron does not yet support DSD native playback on FiiO DAPs.
(Neither DoP nor Native DSD options are available)
Currently dmitrykos works with FiiO engineers to implement DSD native playback. But I think it will take some time.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:50 pm

yeslam, to be more precise:

Neutron supports DSD on Fiio X5, X7, M11.

On M6, M7, M9 there is noise currently. Device logs do not help and show that may be Fiio Music is sending 16/88200 PCM instead of DSD on these DAPs while on M11 DSD stream is opened for DSD. May be logcat logs are not informative and Fiio Music is sending native DSD but I am trying to clarify from Fiio support regarding the format. So I hope if they clarify the support for DSD in M6, M7, M9 will appear.

Hi-res PCM output works on all Fiio DAPs, so here is no problem at all and 99% of music can be played in hi-res by Neutron.