[TIP] Hi-Res Audio for Android devices

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
xenon2

Re: [TIP] Hi-Res Audio for Android devices

Post by xenon2 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:11 pm

Thanks for the tip :-)

Im using Sony XZ1 but I noticed something strange. I guess it is not neutron fault.

When I change frequency from lets say 48000 to 192000 I noticed that sound changed slightly, like stereo imaging is changed. I have disabled all known "sony enchancers" (or destroyers of sound)... and when I change hardware frequency, sounds change each time to something slightly different (sometimes more "crispy" sound, sometimes muffled).

So I hooked up ADB and looked at CPU usage (I was curious if high sample rate is affecting cpu much - due to resampling)... so it was from 8... to 50% for neutron.
But it seems that with different frequencies there was another process that popped up high..

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S[%CPU] %MEM TIME+ ARGS
18515 u0_a197 10 -10 2.4G 190M 87M S 30.0 5.0 9:09.95 com.neutroncode.mp
1107 audioserver 20 0 74M 8.8M 4.8M S 13.0 0.2 3:30.97 audioserver

... and it seems that with different output frequencies cpu usage varies more for "audioserver" process. Im only hoping that no double-resample takes place. I will test it with high res audio samples of various waveforms... but it looks fishy to me.

Fmx

Post by Fmx » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:05 pm

MESSAGE ON THE THEME:

Music smartphone Highscreen Fest XL with built-in DAC ES9118 SABER HiFi SoC 32-bit. Adding a smartphone to the list of devices that support Hi-Res. Log-confirmation of program operation with manual adjustment of Hi-Res.

CONTENT:

INTRODUCTION.
1. INFORMATION ABOUT SMARTPHONE
1.1. Main characteristics.
1.2. Audio in the smartphone.
2. INFORMATION ABOUT TESTING
2.1 Creating a log.
2.2 Information about the music file.
2.3 Information about headphones
CONCLUSION
SOURCES
LOG

INTRODUCTION.

Kind time of the day, I apologize in advance for my English. I want to ask you to add a Highscreen Fest XL music smartphone with the built-in ES9118 SABER HiFi SoC 32-Bit DAC to the list of supported Hi-Res devices. I'm the user of your player and I want to use the Hi-Res setting, however at the moment the automatic selection of this setting does not work. In order to be officially supported on this device in the next update, I wrote down the information about the smartphone and DAC, and added the logs of the player with manual Hi-Res setting in this message, so that it was confirmed that the Hi-Res setting was enabled -Res. For testing, I used an etalon file to test the acoustics. Headphones also used high quality. I hope this will be enough. If you need any more information, I'll try to provide.

1. INFORMATION ABOUT SMARTPHONE

1.1. Main characteristics.

System
Android 7.0 Nougat

CPU
MediaTek MT6737T: 64-bit power-efficient quad-core Cortex A53 & Mali T720 MP GPU

Memory
RAM: 2GB
ROM: 16GB

Company / Model
Highscreen (Russian company specializing in music smartphones) / FestXL

1.2. Audio in the smartphone.

Audiotract (Sound path)
HI SOUND Lite (Single chip): DAC + headphone amplifier + switch

Company manufacturer DAC
ESS: The world leader in the production of components of the sound path of mobile devices

Technical Characteristics of DACs
ES9118 SABER HiFi SoC 32-Bit: Supports the high resolution and lossless audio, 2-channel audio, digital to analog converter, QFN package, delivering up to 126dB SNR and -113dB THD + N using the ESS patented 32-bit HyperStream® DAC architecture and Time Domain Jitter Eliminator. The ES9118's integrated DAC supports up to 32-bit 384kHz PCM and DSD256 data in master or slave timing modes. A fully programmable FIR filter with eight presets provides a customizable sound signature and the ES9118's integrated headphone supports up to 1.1Vrms output. The patented, integrated output switch allows non-HiFi sources, such as speech, to bypass the ES9118 to minimize power consumption. Residual distortion from suboptimal PCB components and layout can be minimized using ES9118's unique THD compensation circuit, while PCB footprint and bill-of-materials are minimized by the integrated feedback resistors and low-noise DAC reference LDO.

2. INFORMATION ABOUT TESTING

2.1 Creating a log.

I created the Logs folder in the NeutronMP directory in the device's memory and tested the same song several times with different settings to test the sound in the Hi-Res quality. The sound worked smoothly and without failures. The text from the log in the Logs folder I specified below.

2.2 Information about the music file.

Site
http://www.2l.no/

Audio format
Stereo 24BIT / 352.8kHz

From the album
DIVERTIMENTI (2L-050-SABD)
Performer
Britten: Simple Symphony, Op. 4
TrondheimSolistene

Link
http://www.lindberg.no/hires/test/2L50SACD_tr1_DXD_stereo.zip

2.3 Information about headphones

Company / Model
Sennheiser CX 300 II

Sound Performance
Frequency range: 19 Hz to 21 kHz
Resistance: 16 Ohm
Sensitivity: 113 dB
Wire length: 1.2 meters

CONCLUSION
  Thanks for attention, I hope this information will be useful to you, I will wait for a new update of your remarkable player with the support of this smartphone.

LOG
Originally I wanted to insert a spoiler with a log, but it did not work, so I attached it to this post.
Attachments
Log.zip
Log
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
Last edited by blaubär on Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed advertising

xenon2

Post by xenon2 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:58 pm

Regarding Sony XZ1 High-Resolution Audio capabilities.

So I've performed some simple scans using PC card input and simple frequency sweeps generated in audacity. Somethins strange is going on with frequency response curve. What is source, no idea.

I have created flac files with freq. sweeps in 44/48/88/92/176/192KHz files (I enabled "follow source frequency" to swich automatically desired sample rate). Higher sample rate files (over 192kHz) created some sort of aliasing artifacts so sweep around 40kHz created ariticial signal of low frequency, so I discarded it as unusable (seems anything over 192kHz is fake downsampled something).

You can look at them here:

http://6f3807f79a12.sn.mynetname.net/so ... xz1_sweep/

For 44kHz mode, seems that even bass is impaired somehow and in 192kHz mode frequency response is best (so maybe it is always internally @ 192? no idea yet...).

Seems there is no usable signal over 24kHz, no idea if this is hardware filter (even on PC side) or everything is downsampled to 48kHz. Interestingly frequency response differ between modes. Maybe someone with better equipment or with rooted phone can investigate.

SynekPablo

Post by SynekPablo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:38 pm

I use an AXON 7 to listen to music.

The Neutron Player seems to be made to work with the built-in AKM 32bit DAC.
Hi Res works without problems and the sound is phenomenal.

As output I use the AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR 7 HIGH RESOLUTION Headphone.

Sonically, this combination (AXON 7 + ATH-MSR 7 + NEUTRON) is unsurpassed for me personally. Also priced this combination is top.

keerah

Post by keerah » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Hi!
I've managed to enable HIRES output on my HTC 10 Lifestyle phone! WORKS FINE and STABLE! Amazing :D
Had to go thru some tweaks, so here's my settings:

AUDIO HARDWARE:
32 bit output and Low Latency must be OFF
Generic Driver is on of course

GENERIC DRIVER:
All off except Custom Format

custom FORMAT:
Format 24 bit
Frequency 192000
Mode FAST

Some other functions can affect hires as well, i' described only those I checked

Scoty

Post by Scoty » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:06 am

I have a Xiaomi Mi A1. Which settings need for HiRes Output?

johnnny

Post by johnnny » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi,
I just installed the latest neutron (version 2.04.0-ARM64) on my android sony xz premium. I have two questions. The first is about a subject that no one really seems to address. When playing back DSD format, why are PCM characteristics showing, such as 88,200 frequency? Is DSD always being converted to PCM or what? Is there a way to only play back in DSD on my smartphone. I am using no external digital device. I am connecting my analog audio out to a home sound system. I tried the enigmatic setting of DSD over PCM. When I put that on the DSD sound disappeared entirely. I guess that is only for an external DSD DAC.

My other is about setting up for hi-res audio. Neutron showed as frequency 48000 and 64 (out:16) bits. I tried a few things and eventually got it right. Could I have done damage in trying out settings? I am concerned when I tried 8.24 bits under the generic driver. The sound became erratic but audible. Could I have done permanent damage?

I got hi-res audio set up from web searching and reading what someone else did. Generic driver for hi-res is on. Bits are set to 32 bit. Frequency I set from 88200 to 192000 I think. All modes were clicked on. And I put following frequency on. So now audio hardware shows the frequency that goes with the file I am playing. And bits show as 64 (out:32). It seems to sound alright now I think.

I have a mixture of dsf and hi-res flac files on my smart phone.

ZeratuLx

Post by ZeratuLx » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:33 am

Good afternoon. I use Onkyo Granbeat DP-CMX1 and Neotron outputs only at 16bit, any other settings include a mixer. Collected the log, through the logcat -v, the work of the built-in player. And yes an interesting moment, if you include a non-standard format with output to 32bit, then the built-in logger will work out about success, but the sound goes through the mixer.
I put all the logs + audio_policy.conf, so there is also an apk of the native player (I can also put it).

audio_policy.conf

Code: Select all

# Global configuration section:
# - lists input and output devices always present on the device
# as well as the output device selected by default.
# Devices are designated by a string that corresponds to the enum in audio.h
# - defines whether the speaker output path uses DRC
# "TRUE" means DRC is enabled, "FALSE" or omission means DRC isn't used.
global_configuration {
  attached_output_devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_EARPIECE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_TELEPHONY_TX
  default_output_device AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER
  attached_input_devices AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_BUILTIN_MIC|AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_BACK_MIC|AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_REMOTE_SUBMIX|AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_FM_TUNER|AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_VOICE_CALL|AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_TELEPHONY_RX

speaker_drc_enabled TRUE
}

# audio hardware module section: contains descriptors for all audio hw modules present on the
# device. Each hw module node is named after the corresponding hw module library base name.
# For instance, "primary" corresponds to audio.primary.<device>.so.
# The "primary" module is mandatory and must include at least one output with
# AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_PRIMARY flag.
# Each module descriptor contains one or more output profile descriptors and zero or more
# input profile descriptors. Each profile lists all the parameters supported by a given output
# or input stream category.
# The "channel_masks", "formats", "devices" and "flags" are specified using strings corresponding
# to enums in audio.h and audio_policy.h. They are concatenated by use of "|" without space or "\n".

audio_hw_modules {
  primary {
    outputs {
      primary {
        sampling_rates 44100|48000
        channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO
        formats AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_16_BIT
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_EARPIECE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_LINE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_ALL_SCO|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_AUX_DIGITAL|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_PROXY|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_FM
        flags AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_FAST|AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_PRIMARY
      }
      raw {
        sampling_rates 48000
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_EARPIECE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_LINE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_ALL_SCO|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_AUX_DIGITAL|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_PROXY
        flags AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_FAST|AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_RAW
      }
      deep_buffer {
# TS Hires Start
         # formats AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_16_BIT
         formats AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_16_BIT|AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_32_BIT
# TS Hires End
         devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_EARPIECE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_LINE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_ALL_SCO|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_AUX_DIGITAL|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_PROXY
         flags AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DEEP_BUFFER
      }
      multichannel {
        channel_masks dynamic
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_AUX_DIGITAL|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_PROXY
        flags AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DIRECT
      }
      direct_pcm {
        sampling_rates 8000|11025|16000|22050|32000|44100|48000|64000|88200|96000|176400|192000
        channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_MONO|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_2POINT1|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_QUAD|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_PENTA|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_5POINT1|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_6POINT1|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_7POINT1
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_EARPIECE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_LINE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_ALL_SCO|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_PROXY
        flags AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DIRECT|AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DIRECT_PCM
      }
      compress_offload {
        sampling_rates 8000|11025|12000|16000|22050|24000|32000|44100|48000|64000|88200|96000|176400|192000
        channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_MONO|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_2POINT1|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_QUAD|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_PENTA|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_5POINT1|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_6POINT1|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_7POINT1
        formats AUDIO_FORMAT_MP3|AUDIO_FORMAT_AC3|AUDIO_FORMAT_E_AC3|AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_16_BIT_OFFLOAD|AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_24_BIT_OFFLOAD|AUDIO_FORMAT_FLAC|AUDIO_FORMAT_ALAC|AUDIO_FORMAT_APE|AUDIO_FORMAT_AAC_LC|AUDIO_FORMAT_AAC_HE_V1|AUDIO_FORMAT_AAC_HE_V2|AUDIO_FORMAT_WMA|AUDIO_FORMAT_WMA_PRO|AUDIO_FORMAT_VORBIS|AUDIO_FORMAT_AAC_ADTS_LC|AUDIO_FORMAT_AAC_ADTS_HE_V1|AUDIO_FORMAT_AAC_ADTS_HE_V2
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_EARPIECE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_LINE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_ALL_SCO|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_AUX_DIGITAL|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_PROXY
# TS Hires Start
        # flags AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DIRECT|AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_COMPRESS_OFFLOAD|AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_NON_BLOCKING
        flags AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DIRECT|AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_COMPRESS_OFFLOAD|AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_NON_BLOCKING|AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_HD
# TS Hires End
      }
      incall_music {
        sampling_rates 8000|16000|48000
        channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_MONO
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_EARPIECE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_LINE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_ALL_SCO
        flags AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DIRECT|AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_INCALL_MUSIC
      }
      voice_tx {
        channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_MONO
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_TELEPHONY_TX
      }
      voip_rx {
        sampling_rates 8000|16000
        channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_MONO
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_EARPIECE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_LINE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_ALL_SCO
        flags AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DIRECT|AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_VOIP_RX
      }
    }
    inputs {
      primary {
        sampling_rates 8000|11025|12000|16000|22050|24000|32000|44100|48000
        channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_MONO|AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_STEREO|AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_FRONT_BACK
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_WIRED_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_BLUETOOTH_SCO_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_FM_TUNER|AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_VOICE_CALL
      }
      surround_sound {
        sampling_rates 8000|11025|12000|16000|22050|24000|32000|44100|48000
        channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_MONO|AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_STEREO|AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_FRONT_BACK|AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_5POINT1
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_BUILTIN_MIC|AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_BACK_MIC
      }
      voice_rx {
        channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_STEREO|AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_MONO
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_TELEPHONY_RX
      }
    }
  }
  a2dp {
    outputs {
      a2dp {
        sampling_rates 44100
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_ALL_A2DP
      }
    }
    inputs {
      a2dp {
        channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_MONO|AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_STEREO
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_BLUETOOTH_A2DP
       }
     }
  }
  usb {
    outputs {
      usb_accessory {
        sampling_rates 44100
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_USB_ACCESSORY
      }
      usb_device {
        sampling_rates dynamic
        channel_masks dynamic
        formats dynamic
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_USB_DEVICE
      }
    }
    inputs {
      usb_device {
        sampling_rates dynamic
        channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_STEREO
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_USB_DEVICE
      }
    }
  }
  r_submix {
    outputs {
      submix {
        sampling_rates 48000
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_REMOTE_SUBMIX
      }
    }
    inputs {
      submix {
        sampling_rates 48000
        channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_STEREO
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_REMOTE_SUBMIX
      }
    }
  }
}

In the stock there is logkat-in and a neutron log with high-end enabled and non-standard output enabled (the log reports success, but the android mixer is spinning)

jtl

Post by jtl » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:23 pm

Hi

Using LG V20 H990DS with Android 7.0 (NRD90M) and the evaluation version of Neutron.

I followed the directions in the first post for enabling the Hi-Res audio functionality and verified the sample rate with adb. I sadly have one issue. A split second of a song is cut off at the beginning.

Other then this I think Neutron is a great player and I plan to purchase it if this issue is fixed.

Thanks.

JTL

Code: Select all

Output thread 0xe76f8000 type 1 (DIRECT):
  Thread name: AudioOut_B5
  I/O handle: 181
  TID: 14542
  Standby: no
  Sample rate: 192000 Hz
  HAL frame count: 7680
  HAL format: 0x6 (pcm24)
  HAL buffer size: 46080 bytes
  Channel count: 2
  Channel mask: 0x00000003 (front-left, front-right)
  Processing format: 0x6 (pcm24)
  Processing frame size: 6 bytes
  Pending config events: none
  Output device: 0x2 (SPEAKER)
  Input device: 0 (NONE)
  Audio source: 0 (default)
  Normal frame count: 7680
  Last write occurred (msecs): 34
  Total writes: 434
  Delayed writes: 0
  Blocked in write: yes
  Suspend count: 0
  Sink buffer : 0xe6490000
  Mixer buffer: 0xe649d000
  Effect buffer: 0xe64ae000
  Fast track availMask=0xfe
  Standby delay ns=1000000000
  AudioStreamOut: 0xe89080e0 flags 0x2001 (DIRECT|0x2000)
  Stream volumes in dB: 0:-21, 1:-inf, 2:-inf, 3:-37, 4:-31, 5:-inf, 6:0, 7:-inf, 8:-inf, 9:0, 10:0, 11:-37, 12:0, 13:0
  Normal mixer raw underrun counters: partial=0 empty=0
  1 Tracks of which 1 are active
    Name Active Client Type      Fmt Chn mask Session fCount S F SRate  L dB  R dB    Server Main buf  Aux Buf Flags UndFrmCnt
    none    yes   8078    3 00000006 00000003     145  26880 A 3 192000     0     0  0032FA00 0xe6490000 0x0 0x000         0 
  0 Effect Chains

stefur

Post by stefur » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:09 am

How to check Hi-Res Audio is available
If you wish to to know whether your device has Hi-Res Audio support ..... Additionally you can tap on a panel with Channels, Bits in Audio Hardware and see the current audio output format. If all audio devices indicate 'closed' during playback then it is a sign of Hi-Res Audio as well.
this is not functioning anymore with lg v20 Oreo. If I tap, nothing happens and I can't see the listing of the audio devices. Any idea why?

Best
Steve