[TIP] Hi-Res Audio for Android devices

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
blaubär

Re: [TIP] Hi-Res Audio for Android devices

Post by blaubär » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:35 pm

Yes. AudioTrack / Generic Driver are only ever used with an internal DAC.

dogan.oz

Post by dogan.oz » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:09 pm

blaubär wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:35 pm
Yes. AudioTrack / Generic Driver are only ever used with an internal DAC.

Although I use it with fiio BTR7, there is AudioTrack text. I am trying to understand whether it is not using it at full capacity or something is missing or wrong.

MotleyG

Post by MotleyG » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:07 pm

There is nothing wrong with your setup. Neutron has already recognized your exact device. You can see that in your screenshot where it clearly indicates it is using the driver for FiiO BTR7.

As I said previously, the best use case is to select the sampling option to "Follow Source Frequency" as this will make sure the native resolution of the audio file is passed onto your DAC. This doesn't matter if it is the internal DAC in your phone (assuming it has a headphone jack as the built-in speaker is certainly not going to give you anything hi-res anyhow), the Bluetooth device DAC (best case is LDAC), or anything connected directly by USB that can run up to as high as 32bit/768kHZ or even quad DSD.

You can manually choose to have Neutron up-sample your music files to one of the other selected sample rates if you really feel it necessary. But that will just add unnecessary CPU processing on your phone and have your power drain faster. So unless you have a specific reason to do so, I would recommend leaving the default selected.

You didn't confirm earlier, do you have any music files that were sourced as Hi-res, above 48kHz, on your device? If you do, play one of those tracks and check the info on the Now Paying main screen. If you use the three-dot menu on the bottom right of the screen, you can cycle that line to show the source file info, the output info, and off. This is where you can check to see if any conversions are being done by Neutron for every song.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:03 pm

dogan.oz wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:09 pm
Although I use it with fiio BTR7, there is AudioTrack text.
I see "Fiio BTR7 (Bluetooth A2DP) (Audiotrack)" and I interpret that as "Currently using Fiio BTR7 ( but there's also BT on the system ) ( and an internal DAC for the speakers )"

dogan.oz

Post by dogan.oz » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:14 pm

MotleyG wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:07 pm
You didn't confirm earlier, do you have any music files that were sourced as Hi-res, above 48kHz, on your device? If you do, play one of those tracks and check the info on the Now Paying main screen. If you use the three-dot menu on the bottom right of the screen, you can cycle that line to show the source file info, the output info, and off. This is where you can check to see if any conversions are being done by Neutron for every song.
If I open a 48kHz flac radio station that I added earlier from within Neutron, is it the same thing or does it just have to be a local 48kHz file?

I hope I didn't bore you with the questions I asked to be sure, since I don't have much experience in these matters.
I want to make sure I have the correct setup.

MotleyG

Post by MotleyG » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:21 pm

A 48kHz radio station will stream at 48kHz, so nothing special there.

I'm guessing that means you don't have any local Hi-res files (>48kHz) available to test with. So there isn't anything you would gain trying to set the sample rate to a fixed rate.

If you decide to try test this further, there are some sites that offer free samplers with Hi-res files. Try HD Tracks, or similar reputable sources.

dogan.oz

Post by dogan.oz » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:08 pm

MotleyG wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:21 pm
A 48kHz radio station will stream at 48kHz, so nothing special there.

I'm guessing that means you don't have any local Hi-res files (>48kHz) available to test with. So there isn't anything you would gain trying to set the sample rate to a fixed rate.

If you decide to try test this further, there are some sites that offer free samplers with Hi-res files. Try HD Tracks, or similar reputable sources.
OK i Will try it.

Do you think Neutron is an unnecessary music player for 48kHz and below?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:20 pm

dogan.oz wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:08 pm
Depends on what the users needs. For me the reason to use Neutron rather than PowerAmp are its DSP features, especially the parametric equalizer, frequency response correction, crossfeed and compressor.

MotleyG

Post by MotleyG » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:36 pm

dogan.oz wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:08 pm
It really depends on what you want from your music, and how you listen. Sometimes it can even just come down to the UI and playing details. I like Neutron for how it sounds in my case, using Hi-res on a dedicated digital audio player (DAP). But on the same device I have several players (GoneMAD, Poweramp, Foobar Mobile) installed. Each has there own distinct UI and display. But sonically Neutron is still the king.

Darsh

Post by Darsh » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:12 am

MotleyG wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:26 pm
Any sample rates above 48kHz is currently considered to be hi-res. Most Android devices use basic DACs that can handle 48kHz, and this is typically the limit for Bluetooth as well. So if Neutron is offering to select anything above this rate, then you know hi-res is being supported on that device.

The bigger question is whether or not you are actually playing hi-res music files. There is no point up-sampling standard resolution 44.1kHz or 48kHz files in Neutron, as almost any device that can support hi-res is already going to do the same anyhow. You would be best to use the "Follow Source Frequency" option in the Audio Hardware settings menu. That way the native resolution of your files will be sent at the highest rate available to whichever output device you are using, including external DACs, headphones, and even BT.
Insightful clarification on hi-res audio. Android devices typically support up to 48kHz, and Neutron's option for rates above indicates hi-res capability. Emphasizes the importance of playing true hi-res files and recommends using "Follow Source Frequency" for optimal output matching the native resolution of the audio files.