[FIXED] 4.1.1 JellyBean external SD card problem

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
mrmatey

[FIXED] 4.1.1 JellyBean external SD card problem

Post by mrmatey » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:28 am

Hi there. 1st post here.
I am running the new JellyBean OS & the Neutron player deosnt seem to find the external SD card, as it is in a new directory in JB OS.
It is no longer filed inside the internal SD folder.

(/storage/sdcard1)also(/extSdCard) are the external sd card folders.
& (/storage/sdcard0)also(/sdcard) are the internal sd card folders.

Is there fix to recognise the new folder systems so we can use the external SD card for our music again?

Hope someone can help.
cheers.

Liveinthemoment

Re: 4.1.1 JellyBean external SD card problem

Post by Liveinthemoment » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:34 am

Have you tried (while choosing which directries to include as SOURCEs for Neutron - as you can choose any directory) navigating to the highest directory and then coming down ?

You can check this by downloading xplore by lonelycat games on google's play website (app) and checking how to navigate. Write it down on a notepad.

Neutron sits on top of the OS and is not an OS in its own right so it should use whatever is mounted wherever it is mounted.

For example my Sony S Tablet has 3 - internal, root and an external 32GB and it finds them all - just like you pointed out.

I initially thought like you did but realised it was not completely understanding the directories structure.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:38 am

Hi! :)
(/storage/sdcard1)also(/extSdCard) are the external sd card folders.
& (/storage/sdcard0)also(/sdcard) are the internal sd card folders.
Could you please tell where /storage folder is located? Is it inside /mnt folder? The same question for /extSdCard.

Neutron entry point into directory structure is /mnt. Normally!!! all storage devices must be mounted to /mnt and if it does not happen like this then firmware developer is doing something completely wrong. I am surprised that it finally happened to Samsung also because earlier all their devices had all storage devices mounted inside /mnt (so Neutron can always access them) and external SD was mounted to /mnt/sdcard/external_sd. Google, up to 4.1, has not yet standardized the mounting/naming strategy of external storage devices and only due to this fact all producers are "playing games" with Android app developers...

It would be great to know the top directory, or simply full path to mentioned /storage/sdcard1, /extSdCard.

mrmatey

Post by mrmatey » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Thank you for your replies & i appreciate all your help.
1stly ,i am using the GT-I9100 [JB][4.1.1] CyanogenMod 10 preview build 20120801 (latest) on the galaxy s2(gt-I9100) so it could be possible that there is a problem with the firmware, as it is a preview build.

But ,the file structure shows at top level /storage & /extSdCard & /sdcard folders sitting at same level as /mnt
"/storage" only contains 3 folders /storage/sdcard0 /storage/sdcard1 & /storage/usbdisk0

BUT when i open /mnt in root explorer,both /mnt/extSdCard & /mnt/sdcard is sitting in there as well . which are the same as /storage/sdcard1 (ext) & /storage/sdcard0 (intern)

When opening Nuetron player the only 2 root "directory selections" are /mnt ( which only opens /mnt/.lfs /mnt/asec /mnt/obb /mnt/secure ) & /storage/sdcard0 (which only opens internal sdcard files)

Anyway, it seems there is a link to extSdCard in /mnt (when viewed in a file explorer}, but Neutron cant seem to pick it up. It's a bit perplexing to be honest, especially with the multi links to the same folders.

Anyway i hope i have made some sense to it now.
Also, Neutron Player is the best, great product.

zikarus

Post by zikarus » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:33 pm

I encounter the same problem being on 4.1.1 based Resurrection Rom 3.0.1 on a Galaxy S2 I9100. When choosing one of the offered source paths one cannot choose the extSdCard (which is the new name for the external sdcard instead of emmc) or any folder on it. Tried to fix the problem with a link being created with Root Explorer as well as using Directory Bind app. Both methods did not work out. The music folder on extSdCard still not reachable. Neutron does not find the extSdCard. Hope this can be fixed in the next update...

Edit
I can confirm that extSdCard is found under /mnt/ as sdcard1. Neutron nevertheless only offers to choose folders from the internal sdcard0 or the non existent emmc ...

Liveinthemoment

Post by Liveinthemoment » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:00 am

Now I remember exactly because you wrote "storage" !!

Yes I had a similar issue initially with my Archos G9 250GB hard drive (which died and was crap)

The solution was this - check ALL the directories manually using Neutron. You will find one directory eventually that when you choose it will take you to the other sdcard.

It was not intuitive to me but I found it eventually.

I am sorry I cannot remember where it was.

It might have been a "Storage" directory well under(had to go down a few levels to get to it) /mnt but I cannot remember.

When I look at my Sony S Tablet it doesn't have the same directory structures or issues.

Can you choose /mnt as your source ? Will it try to pick up all the music it can find ? I don't know, I never tested that but it might be worth trying.

mrmatey

Post by mrmatey » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:02 pm

Already tried that many times, its just not picking up the external sd card.
I have tested it many times, but Neutron's file explorer deosnt find it.
I have tried other players...JetAudio, Apollo, PlayMusic........ they all find the external sd card without a problem.
Anyway , might be time for a better, more efficient file explorer within Neutrons program that is simple to use too.
Hope it can be fixed soon, as i want Neutrons audio quality again.

Liveinthemoment

Post by Liveinthemoment » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:22 am

Ok understood. I'll let Dmitry and you work it out.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:08 am

> Neutron nevertheless only offers to choose folders from the internal sdcard0 or the non existent emmc ...

Neutron is using standard native API for accessing files/folders. in 99.9% it works ok on Android but I noticed already that some firmware versions have specific bug regarding file/directory properties. It is common to unofficial, custom ROMs. The code implementation is absolutely correct in Neutron and this code works also on other Posix platforms without a problem. But I need to find out what exactly is causing the problem, e.g. which Android OS bug is preventing directory listing.

The problem is to find out how directories which are not shown by Neutron are treated by your OSes, as directories, or links? Neutron assumes that directory is directory.

> JetAudio, Apollo, PlayMusic

Most probably they are Java built apps? And if so they are using Java API. Java API may have specific workaround which allows other applications getting good results. This workaround I need to find out by my self now :)

Will keep this thread updated with progress...

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:21 pm

The problem is fixed and new version will work just fine.