NeutronMP does not see the Windows 10 network folders

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
aewwwx

NeutronMP does not see the Windows 10 network folders

Post by aewwwx » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:59 am

NeutronMP does not see the Windows 10 network folders (Samba 3.0). By default, Samba 1.0 is disabled for windows 10. Applications such as X-Plore, ES Explorer, work using the Samba 3.0 protocol.
Do you plan to support Samba 3.0 in NeutronMP?

blaubär

Re: NeutronMP does not see the Windows 10 network folders

Post by blaubär » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:04 pm

NMP generally supports samba version 3, see the topic "Setting up a network source (SMB Shared Folder)" in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1569

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:15 am

aewwwx, you need to enable SMB 1.0 support in Windows 10 settings and it will work. Neutron will support SMB2 in the future (in to-do) but for music streaming SMB 1.0 is really sufficient.

Here is tutorial:
How to detect, enable and disable SMBv1, SMBv2, and SMBv3 in Windows and Windows Server

bb010g

Post by bb010g » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:36 am

SMBv1 isn't sufficient for anything security-wise, though. https://aka.ms/stopusingsmb1

None of your boxes should have it enabled.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:14 pm

bb010g wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:36 am
SMBv1 isn't sufficient for anything security-wise, though. https://aka.ms/stopusingsmb1
True for corporate networks but if it is your home network with only home known devices then SMB1 will not compromise the security. If there is malware working inside the home network then SMB1 vulnerability will be the least thing to worry about.

Neutron will support SMB2/3 in the future (in to-do).

bb010g

Post by bb010g » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:59 am

When might SMBv2 or SMBv3 be implemented? SMBv1 still isn't an option for a NAS that serves any data that should be secure, and my NAS serves more than just my music library.

(SMBv1 puts sensitive data within home networks at risk just if a foreign host joins the network, malware not required, in addition to being inefficient. This is a likely occurrence for home wireless networks, which often have weak passwords. The passwords should be stronger, but SMBv1 also does nothing to protect their data within the local network. SMBv1 shouldn't be enabled at all.)

8-bit-hero

Samba Problems

Post by 8-bit-hero » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:41 pm

Hello,
I’ve been using the WebDAV network share feature for about a month now and have been loving it. I think I read in a thread on the forum somewhat recently that SMB sharing was enabled for IOS users so I tried giving that a go.

Context: I am connecting my sources to Neutron from a server that is using SMB version 4.9.5 on a Debian machine. I can see that Neutron is connecting with a 3.2 version. Im not sure if this is related or what other information might be useful. Happy to provide whatever might help this problem.

When I connect on my home network SMB works beautifully. It’s faster. It’s reliable. It’s great.

Outside my home network I use a VPN to access my network and music files.

I am able to play music and use the app reasonably well with WebDAV this way. I would love to be able to use an SMB connection as well but, that seems limited to me for some reason.

Using SMB I am able to scan my files, (which it does very quickly. Compared to using WebDAV) but as soon as it is done scanning the source turns red and shows an error asking if the source is connected.

>>On mobile data I can still open folders and view files using the network selection tool through SMB but for some reason can’t play them.

I’ve also learned that this is not the case if I’m connected to WiFi. If I am connected to WiFi everything works as expected. But on mobile Data I can do everything except play songs through my SMB connection.

I can scan (still quickly), I can play music with WebDAV but All of my SMB sources are red and showing errors when I use mobile data.

I’m wondering if there’s anything I can do to optimize my SMB connection a bit so that I am able to play music through this awesome app using SMB sources.

I hope this all makes sense. I can provide whatever information might help troubleshoot.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:05 pm

Perhaps it's a problem of SMB v1 vs. SMB v2/v3 ? Perhaps you find a compatibility-to-smb-v1-switch somewhere ? I merged this topic to a topic that deals with SMB v2/3 support.

8-bit-hero

Post by 8-bit-hero » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:35 pm

Thanks for the help!

Here’s what I tried:

On Debian I edited my smb.conf file

Code: Select all

$ sudo vim /etc/samba/smb.conf

I changed

protocol = SMB3
To

protocol = NT1
Then ran

~$ sudo systemctl restart smbd.service
To restart samba

Using

$ sudo smbstatus
I confirmed that I was connected using the NT1 (SMB v1 protocol)

However the problem persists. I can scan folders, but they immediately turn red and I am unable to play any music with SMB.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:17 pm

I suggest you contact neutronmp@gmail.com and ask for their advice. Feedback would be appreciated :-) .