iOS: playlists stopped updating until reinstall

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
IamFODI

iOS: playlists stopped updating until reinstall

Post by IamFODI » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:29 pm

iPhone 11 Pro Max running iOS 13.4.

At some point in the past few weeks, the list of playlists in Neutron stopped reflecting updates I made in iTunes. New playlists didn't show up, and renamed or deleted ones were still there under their original names. Using the refresh functions for sources, folders, and playlists didn't change anything. What worked was deleting and reinstalling the app.

Did I miss anything, or was this a random bug?

blaubär

Re: iOS: playlists stopped updating until reinstall

Post by blaubär » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:20 pm

Are you sure that this ever worked ? Can you say if when this stopped working you had installed a new iOs or Neutron version ?
Are other changes in the music directories reflected in Neutron ? Is the refresh-button active for all sources ?

src-1.PNG
src-1.PNG (39.82 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
When you long press on the playlist and then scroll down, what folder is shown ? A folder from iTunes or a folder from Neutron ? The playlists you created with Neutron should be located in /NeutronMP/playlists, see Q: Where I can find the file of the playlist which I created by Neutron?. If I understand you correctly you change a playlist that is located in iTunes - if the playlist you see in Neutron resides in the Neutron folder and hadn't been created by you in Neutron, then perhaps it had been copied at some time in the past, perhaps when the source had been first scanned.

pl-1.PNG
pl-1.PNG (7.21 KiB) Viewed 3372 times

IamFODI

Post by IamFODI » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:19 am

(Hoping I've understood your questions correctly -- please let me know if I haven't)

blaubär wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:20 pm
Are you sure that this ever worked ?
Yes, for a while it updated the playlists according to whatever I did in iTunes.

blaubär wrote:
Can you say if when this stopped working you had installed a new iOs or Neutron version ?
I don't know, unfortunately.

blaubär wrote:
Are other changes in the music directories reflected in Neutron ?
Don't think I attempted any changes except in iTunes.

blaubär wrote:
Is the refresh-button active for all sources ?
It does that whenever I initiate a refresh, but reverts when it's done.

blaubär wrote:
When you long press on the playlist and then scroll down, what folder is shown ? A folder from iTunes or a folder from Neutron ?
Can't be sure where they were as I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, but they are all iTunes playlists. None of the playlists was created in Neutron.

blaubär wrote:
if the playlist you see in Neutron resides in the Neutron folder and hadn't been created by you in Neutron, then perhaps it had been copied at some time in the past, perhaps when the source had been first scanned.
Interesting. Does Neutron normally copy playlists into its own folder on its own? (I never copied them intentionally)

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:41 am

Long press on "Sources" , you'll enter the list of sources. Permanently activate the "Refresh" buttons. Then it should automatically detect changes.

IamFODI

Post by IamFODI » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:19 pm

blaubär wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:41 am
Long press on "Sources" , you'll enter the list of sources. Permanently activate the "Refresh" buttons. Then it should automatically detect changes.
Thanks!

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:20 pm

This "Refresh" option for a source might have been switched off because Neutron was shut down while a refresh was being done.

IamFODI

Post by IamFODI » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:25 pm

Having this issue again. Same device, iOS 14.7.1, same usage.

Neutron did once update the playlists correctly after I deleted all my playlists in iTunes, made all-new ones, and re-synced my entire music library. But since then, I've edited the playlists a couple of times and added a new one, and Neutron doesn't recognize any of the changes or the added playlist.

I've tried refreshing and rescanning all sources multiple times.

Am I correct that Neutron copies iTunes playlists into its own folder at some point? If so, is there a way to trigger that process to run from scratch and replace its own playlists with the current iTunes playlists?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:38 pm

As for iTunes I think that's an iOs-service for Neutron - what does your iTunes-Source look like ? If yes, perhaps that service could be restarted / refreshed.

IamFODI

Post by IamFODI » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:05 pm

blaubär wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:38 pm
As for iTunes I think that's an iOs-service for Neutron - what does your iTunes-Source look like ? If yes, perhaps that service could be restarted / refreshed.
My apologies -- not sure what you mean by this. Is this not something that would happen when the device is rebooted?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:29 pm

Have a look at Maintenance of Sources . Neutron keeps a list of sources for your music. On iOs the default settings for this will probably include the device's or the user's iTunes library. I don't know how that is accessed, via the file system or a service.