[SOLVED??] Initial SMB scan works, subsequent refresh does not

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
blaubär

Re: Initial SMB scan works, subsequent refresh does not

Post by blaubär » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:53 pm

Sorry, I don't use smb ... try a long press on the source

Skiddz

Post by Skiddz » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:13 pm

Nope. The only way I've found to make changed to username/pw etc is to create a source.

Another purging of Neutron last night and it worked for about an hour. This morning, back to the same behavior. PIssing me off....

Skiddz

Post by Skiddz » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:26 pm

Last night I removed Neutron again, deleted the NeutronMP folder from the phone and removed the LG entry from media streaming options on the server and then rebooted everything; Server, phone, router.

I reinstalled Neutron and created a new source and set login credentials to use NTLM2 (Just like my working tablet's credentials) and allowed it to scan. Again, the long pause around the 22K items state, but it eventually completed and found everything.

I left the phone in this state overnight. This morning, I grabbed the phone and went right to Folders. All my folders were shows so I navigated to a random song and tapped it. It started playing and after about 5 seconds, it stopped and would not continue.

I backed out of the player and not surprisingly, zeros in Songs, Folders, Playlists, etc... Tapped Refresh next to Sources and yep, 2-3 seconds of activity then nothing. The entry for this device in Media Streaming Options on the server did NOT re-appear.

I copied 3 or 4 folders to an entirely different drive on the server, created a new share and then created a new source in Neutron, pointing to the folder. Scanned fine, went to play a song.. 3 seconds later, dead in the water.

Tried playing a song through Neutron via Solid Explorer. Works fine.

Nuked all sources, uninstalled Neutron, rebooted the phone, added my new, smaller source, tried to play a different song. Played 3 seconds, poof, dead.

WTF?

Skiddz

Post by Skiddz » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:43 pm

Just nuked all the sources, then recreated one pointing to the new smaller source. Scanned files just fine and without doing anything else after the scan was done, I tapped Refresh. 2 seconds of activity and then everything zeroed out again.

Fired up my tablet for the first time in 2-3 days, went in to Neutron and it's automatically refreshing because I added a few new tracks to my library. Added the new smaller source, works like a charm. I took a risk and deleted all sources, then created a new one pointing to the original source. Scanned, stopped for several minutes around the 22K mark, then resumed. As soon as it was done, I tapped Refresh. 2-3 mins later, it completed and I'm playing music.

Skiddz

Post by Skiddz » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:36 am

I think I stumbled upon the fix doing some testing earlier this evening. I'd been comparing settings in Neutron between my new phone and my old tablet, but decided I was going to take a look at all the apps common to both devices, especially those that used services available on my LAN.

I've been running Nord VPN for several years on all my computers and mobile devices and since my tablet has no issue with the VPN enabled, I didn't really think it was the problem, especially after deleting all the Nord VPN data, uninstalling it and rebooting the phone didn't resolve the issue. Also, the fact I ran with the VPN enabled since the day I purchased Neutron with zero problems until this past March *and* Solid Explorer can run SMB connections all day long with the VPN enabled.

Then I got to thinking about the OS itself and what might be the common denominator between my tablet, my old phone (which also has the refresh problem) and my new phone.

The tablet is rooted and runs a custom ROM, Cyanogenmod 13 or 14. The LG V60 runs whatever OS LG and Verizon have cobbled up (Android 10 based) and my old Galaxy S5 is also running a Verizon provided OS (Android 6.0.1). I thought that maybe the way the networking was done on each device was a little different so I started poking around in the settings for Nord VPN on all 3 devices.

They all run the same version and all of them had the exact same settings, and none of them had Allow Local Network Discovery enabled. I enabled it on the tablet and it didn't seem to do anything; everything still worked. I Disabled it and it still works fine.

I enabled it on the old phone.. Hey! Refresh didn't stop after a few seconds and it fully updated its info to reflect the current folder contents on the server.

I enabled it on the LG V60 and refreshed my little test source. Refreshed just fine. I deleted the test source and created a new one pointing to the original folder. Still had the "stall" at about 24K items, but it eventually went through and everything has survived multiple reboots, song playings and other manipulations.

Odd that the Tablet doesn't require that setting to be enabled and the phones are able to enumerate the network to the point I can scan files initially, but then seem to "lose" that ability immediately thereafter. I wonder if my theory on how SMB/CIFS connections are made between the different OSs is correct. One would assume SMB/CIFS is SMB/CIFS, right?

In any case, I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days and let you know if it stops working.

Skiddz

Re: [SOLVED??] Initial SMB scan works, subsequent refresh does not

Post by Skiddz » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:16 pm

Welp, the problem is back. Neutron cannot refresh the SMB source even after uninstalling and reinstalling everything. It was working great until about 2 weeks ago and now I'm back to square one.

Nothing I've tried is working, but the ancient tablet is still chugging along out in the garage.