Rookie questions, any pros here? :)

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
Milehigh

Rookie questions, any pros here? :)

Post by Milehigh » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:18 pm

I've been a paid user of this app for quite a while and love the quality it provides, but have a few usage questions.

When I rip my CD's into flac format, I've dumped them all into a single folder (and then copied to my phone). I assume I should be creating artist folders, and individual albums folders within those artist folders for better organization inside the app? Is this the best organization structure? This is probably why my issues below exist...

My album art is a mess, and I tend to get a 'default' album art for half my music... maybe folder organization above would help?

Due to dumping all songs into a single folder, all song from albums with the title "Greatest Hits" all show up under each artist... folders above would fix this assume...

Thanks for any assistance, fixing these issues would dramatically increase my enjoyment of this app :)

blaubär

Re: Rookie questions, any pros here? :)

Post by blaubär » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:55 pm

Milehigh wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:18 pm
When I rip my CD's into flac format, I've dumped them all into a single folder (and then copied to my phone). I assume I should be creating artist folders, and individual albums folders within those artist folders for better organization inside the app? Is this the best organization structure? This is probably why my issues below exist...
Generally it's a good idea to impose a structure on one's directories and files. Neutron is perfectly happy with the metadata in the tags, so there is no pressing need to establish one as long as you have metadata and access the music via artist, album, genre etc. Once your music collection exceeds in size it's easier to manage it with such a structure though. Most people use the artist / album / songs structure.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:59 pm

Milehigh wrote:
My album art is a mess, and I tend to get a 'default' album art for half my music... maybe folder organization above would help?
There's a switch Settings > Media Library > Prefer Metadata Album Art. When you switch that on AND all your songs have an album art included in the tags then that is shown. If you'd rather like to use images in the directories where you keep the albums then switch it off. You'll then have to use special directories for the albums of course.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:02 pm

Milehigh wrote:
Due to dumping all songs into a single folder, all song from albums with the title "Greatest Hits" all show up under each artist... folders above would fix this assume...
I suggest you use the album artist tag to define your albums.

album-artist.PNG
album-artist.PNG (35.52 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
If you have your albums in different directories each then you can use that as a criterion too.

Milehigh

Post by Milehigh » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:13 pm

Thanks Blaubar, took an hour, but created folders for artists then albums and it works great. I appreciate the advice, it was a bit of work, but the result is what I was looking for, thanks again.