Multiple entries for each song in some folders.

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
Outsider4

Multiple entries for each song in some folders.

Post by Outsider4 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:14 pm

This has been going on for some time for SMB sources. When I look in the folders after an SMB scan of my NAS there are multiple entries for each song in some of the folders. This occurs quite randomly. Sometimes just doubles but I've seen any number of duplicate entries from just doubles up to an extreme case of 27 entries for each song.
Now playback is really strange too. Sometimes all different entries play back concurrently, that is each song plays once regardless of number of entries, but sometimes its sequential meaning each song plays back as many times as there are entries.
Deleting and rescanning the source doesn't seem to help. As far as I can see, the folders and files appear normal when viewed in a file browser and tags appear normal in Mp3Tag.
The multiple entries are replicated in the Songs category but strangely there are only single entries for each song when viewed as an album in the Albums category.
Any thoughts on how to help prevent or cure this weirdness would be appreciated.

blaubär

Re: Multiple entries for each song in some folders.

Post by blaubär » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:21 am

Can you check with another SMB client whether this is a problem of the SMB server ?

Outsider4

Re: Multiple entries for each song in some folders.

Post by Outsider4 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:02 pm

I did an experiment and the problem was repeatable across multiple devices. Including one where I copied the files to local storage. This dropped the SMB share from the equation. Further experimentation lead to the the solution. Something was wrong with the id3 tags associated with the files. Removing and recreating the tags using MP3TAG has cured the issue. Thanks for your suggestion, it got me pointed in the right direction. Hopefully this reply will help someone that experiences this issue in the future