Proper settings for DSD128/256

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
Superpong

Proper settings for DSD128/256

Post by Superpong » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:53 am

I currently use Neutron on iPad mini 4 as a main console for my home hi-res system. On this specific iPad mini 4, I tried to make it as clean as possible by uninstalling unnecessary apps like Facebook, YouTube, etc.

I am very pleased with this setup but recently when listening to DSD128/256, and MQA. I observe the unusual/suspicious symptoms as follows:-

- When playing DSD128/256 with Chord Mojo, there is audio stuttering, but there is no issues on Topping Dx7s. By any means or configuration, how can I set up Neutron for this issue? I guess that Mojo may not be able to fully handle DSD128/256 enough. Should I lower or increase "Hardware latency" or "Softwade latency"? Would it help?

- When playing MQA, the Neutron shows MQA and sampling frequency. This means that Neutron can support, unfold and decode MQA correctly?

blaubär

Re: Proper settings for DSD128/256

Post by blaubär » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:00 am

Superpong wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:53 am
- When playing MQA, the Neutron shows MQA and sampling frequency. This means that Neutron can support, unfold and decode MQA correctly?
Yes, Neutron can handle MQA. It converts to PCM (as it does with other encodings) and plays it. Also see :
New_Jerusalem wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:57 am
blaubär wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:11 pm
So you you want Neutron to be able to recognize MQA files and optionally transfer them unchanged to the DAC, should the DAC support this. That would be comparable to the "DSD, DSD over PCM" option for direct transfer of DSD to the DAC. Of course in such a mode of operation no DSP ( Digital Signal Processing ) would take place.
I guess you are right. Actually Neurton can already recognize an MQA file and is one of the few mobile apps to do so.