[UNCONFIRMED] Player keeps shutting down

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
genericuser

[UNCONFIRMED] Player keeps shutting down

Post by genericuser » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:41 pm

I got the eval version of Neutron from Google Play and have been using it for a couple days to decide whether to buy it or not. The player keeps shutting down on me, sometimes on its own (usually after roughly 4 minutes), sometimes following an action such as turning the display on where it will stop just before the lock screen. The player would otherwise be perfect for my needs and I like pretty much everything about it except for that annoying behavior. I will buy it if this can be corrected but obviously not if it persists. It is running on a Samsung Galaxy S2X with ICS.
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated as I would love to make Neutron my default player.
I know this problem has been submitted before but this time it is not following an update and no solution was really offered that I could find.
Thanks.
GU

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Player keeps shutting down

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi GU :)

Have you tried reinstalling Neutron completely? E.g.: uninstall Neutron, make sure folder /Android/data/com.neutroncode.mp is deleted, install Neutron. Does it work then better?

Actually there are no crash reports, and I suspect that either Android OS installed Neutron APK incorrectly, or there is some problem with firmware of device.

One of dev. devices is GT-I9100 (Galaxy S2) with ICS and Neutron is never crashing on it.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

genericuser

Post by genericuser » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have done as you suggested but the player stills shuts down on its own after about 4 minutes of play. The app was installed from Google Play and I am running the latest ICS firmware. My phone is unrooted, otherwise stable and no other apps are running concurrently except for the stock ones.

Any other suggestions?

Best regards,

GU

genericuser

Post by genericuser » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi again Dmitry,

Here's a bit more info that may help you track down this issue.

If I go back to the home screen before turning the phone's screen off, the player continues playing normally but if I turn the screen off (or let it turn off by itself according to my settings) within the app, then it will shut down after 4-5 minutes.

Then there's another problem, when I turn the screen back on, Neutron's lock screen appears (which is OK) but if I press the back button, to get to the phone's lock screen, the player stops :( .

There are other instances where it will stop, always after 4-5 min, but I haven't figured them all out yet.

As I said, any suggestions you have to correct this would be appreciated as I would really like to make Neutron my default player.

Thanks.

GenericUser

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:39 am

Hi GenericUser,

The behavior you described unfortunately can't be reproduced on any of dev. devices. But, could you please try new 1.65.0 version which has quite many crash bug fixes.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

genericuser

Post by genericuser » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi Dmitry,

I got the 1.65.0 Neon version and it seems to be a bit more stable than the previous one (on my phone that is) but still shows odd behaviors such as shutting down on its own or crashing when I adjust the settings. I will keep trying out different configuration variations in both Neutron and my phone's settings (wakelock,lock screen, screen off timer, etc) and let you know if a clear pattern emerges.

BTW, how can I pay for the Neon version I got from your website if I decide to keep it?

Thanks again,

GenericUser

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi GenericUser,

> shutting down on its own or crashing when I adjust the settings

This is strange. It looks like random crashes are caused by hardware or OS on your device. Aren't you using some CPU overclocking? I had users who had Neutron crashing on overclocked devices. Also there was single case when device had bad NEON core of CPU.

> BTW, how can I pay for the Neon version I got from your website if I decide to keep it?

If you purchased standard version already then you do need to buy again.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

zetathix

Post by zetathix » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:36 am

--- If you purchased standard version already then you do need to buy again.

Could you please tell me how?

Is that means I need to purchase both of it??

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:55 am

> Is that means I need to purchase both of it??

No, you just buy Neutron from Google Play (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roncode.mp). The version in Google Play is just standard ARMv7+VFP version. Then you go to Neutron web site and download ARMv7+NEON version (http://neutronmp.com/downloads/category ... -play.html) and install it over standard or by doing clean install (does not really matter).

genericuser

Re: [UNCONFIRMED] Player keeps shutting down

Post by genericuser » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:24 am

Hi Dmitry,

>Aren't you using some CPU overclocking?
Nope.

I just noticed a low level hum (or buzz) when the player is on and not playing. It even persists after closing the application, which, if I remember well, remains in memory for a while. This particular problem may be correctable but it was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back. Since I need a reliable player, I have switched to Poweramp which plays flawlessly on my phone. I may give Neon another try a few releases down the road.

Thank you very much for your diligence answering my queries and good luck with your product!

GU