DLNA streaming to TCP Device

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
Vitikin@hotmail.com

DLNA streaming to TCP Device

Post by Vitikin@hotmail.com » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:29 am

Hello, first time posting a question (of which I have many):
If I cast to a DLNA device from Neutron, which device processes the digital-to-analog file? In other words, is Neutron streaming an analog encoded signal over TCP-IP to the device? Or is Neutron sending the digital file (flac, dsd, mp3, etc) and the DLNA device DAC does the conversion?
I am sorry, I am trying to understand what is the best way to get a final result on a hi-fi vintage amplifier. I am currently streaming over Bluetooth 5.0 with aptX. So I want to know if there is quality to be gain in any other configuration other than something hard wired

blaubär

Re: DLNA streaming to TCP Device

Post by blaubär » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:58 am

Neutron can either send its output to the local DAC, or to a USB DAC, or to a stream. Neutron's outout is always digital. So in your case the DLNA device does the digital-analog-conversion or sends the data to another DAC.
I don't use it that way, but afaik Neutron can either act as a DLNA controller and send the unprocessed files or act as a DLNA renderer, process the output and send that. I'm not sure about the controller though, but it can definitively act as as a renderer.