Playlists

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
blaubär

Playlists

Post by blaubär » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:07 pm

When you want to create a playlist, choose a track, an album, another playlist or whatever, invoke its info window, and press "+ Playlist".

playlist-add-to.jpg
playlist-add-to.jpg (17.8 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
You'll see a list of existing playlists. Choose one of them or press the "+" button below to add a new one. Accept the selection.

playlist-add-sel.jpg
playlist-add-sel.jpg (13.95 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
Congratulations ! You've created a playlist.

playlists.jpg
playlists.jpg (26.22 KiB) Viewed 4160 times
Please note: working with playlists has to be enabled in Settings > User Interface > Optional Features > Playlists

Playlists that you created with Neutron are stored as m3u8 files in an os-dependent directory

playlist-dir.jpg
playlist-dir.jpg (12.89 KiB) Viewed 4161 times
Playlist-files that you created otherwise or imported from somewhere may work or not. When in doubt compare the structure and contents with those created with Neutron.

Playlist files have to reside in valid sources in order to be read.

Please note : the playlist may not work properly until you've created at least one playlist with Neutron.

There are two special playlists: Recently Played and Recently Added.

blaubär

Re: Playlists

Post by blaubär » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:57 am

There's a known issue with imported playlists if the SD card where they are stored is formatted with FAT32 rather then exFAT : should the filenames contain special characters the files may not be found due to limitations of FAT32, see Foreign/accented characters in Playlists

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:02 am

I looked around for a while, but cannot find the answer:

Is there a way to prevent tracks from being entered multiple times into a playlist?

I find that when I hear a song that has already been added to a playlist I can add it again later, resulting in certain tracks being added 4 or more times. Should Neutron not give a reminder that the track is already in the playlist and does not need to be added a second time?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:03 am

Kurt wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:02 am
Is there a way to prevent tracks from being entered multiple times into a playlist?

I find that when I hear a song that has already been added to a playlist I can add it again later, resulting in certain tracks being added 4 or more times. Should Neutron not give a reminder that the track is already in the playlist and does not need to be added a second time?
Well ... the queue has a switch "Unique" to "Avoid duplicte tracks" ... seems normal playlist havn't ... feel free to create a topic in the "Development" forum if you think such a feature should be added ...

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:25 pm

Thanks Blaubär for your (quick) reply!

Can you point me towards those settings, because I cannot find them? I go to playlists, select the playlist and then longpress the playlistsymbol on top. This brings me to the settings. Queue is on top, but no matter what I do, I cannot find the switch you refer to.

PS: "... seems normal playlists havn't ..." haven't what? a switch "Unique" to "Avoid duplicte tracks"? And Neutron does have it, despite being not normal...? Or did you mean having to tell you the track is already in the list? (Which is just another way to solve the same problem.) I am quite happy applying the current solution - be it normal or not- , only as far as I can tell or find, it seems not available in Neutron.
Or did you mean, since it is normal playlists haven't, Neutron also does not have the "Unique" switch?

Greets, Kurt

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:52 pm

FOUND IT!
Go to Playlist overview, press the 3 dots in the left bottom, then longpress playlists (if you don't nothing happens), and there it is.

Very well hidden indeed...
Seems to make more sense to put the toggle under queue in the first place.

I just put the solution here in case anybody else struggles aswell.

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:54 pm

One more question: does this setting apply to all playlists, or is do I have to apply the toggle to each individual playlist? If so, How?

Tnx,
Kurt

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:11 pm

I meant playlists in Neutron as compared to the Queue in Neutron, which is a special playlist in Neutron. And yes, thanky you, normal playlists also have got this :

unique.jpg
unique.jpg (7.72 KiB) Viewed 3895 times

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:06 pm

Kurt wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:54 pm
One more question: does this setting apply to all playlists, or is do I have to apply the toggle to each individual playlist? If so, How?
I never use this ... but I would think that it applies to all playlists.

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:48 am

blaubär wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:11 pm
I meant playlists in Neutron as compared to the Queue in Neutron, which is a special playlist in Neutron. And yes, thanky you, normal playlists also have got this :
Hi Blaubär,

Thank you again for taking the trouble to reply.

But now I am all confused again. The Queue is a special playlist in Neutron, as opposed to the other 'Normal' playlists in Neutron? Then what are the 'normal' playlists in Neutron, and which ones are the 'non-normal' ones? :?
And where does one find this 'special Queue playlist'? And do I need to find or activate it? But the normal playlists in Neutron also have the "Unique" option...: So both playlists (the Normal ones and the special one called 'Queue') have the "Unique" toggle, to be activated from where I describe above?

What is special about the Queue playlist and why would/could someone use it?

Also by now (probably by trying out the the different options that pop up when pressing the three dots in the left bottom of the screen), my playlists have al been scrambled. Months of careful building up is now destroyed.
1. Is there any way to repair them?
2. Would there be a back-up option?
3. Is there somewhere a comprehensive manual or tutorial on how to work with playlists and all of their options and settings?

I can understand that for someone who knows the ins and outs of Neutron, it is all fairly easy and self explanetory. But for the average user with little or no knowlegde about Neutron, the system can be quite daunting, very puzzling and rather confusing. :oops: So, any help would be appreciated.

Greetings,

Kurt