ReplayGain caculate with musicbee vs Neutron Normalisation?

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
Thaldan

ReplayGain caculate with musicbee vs Neutron Normalisation?

Post by Thaldan » Tue May 18, 2021 1:49 am

Hello,

Please someone can explain to me the difference with the RG calculate with a windows software like musicbee who add Gain in tags (for flac) and the Normalisation function off Neutron "Peak" et "Replay Gain (EBU R128)"

I assume the the second one is pretty much the same than the one calculate by musicbee.

Which option is the best? The neutron normalisation overwrite the tags of musicbee or it save the info in neutron database?

I'm a little lost with all this things, if you can do an answer with "basic english" it would be appreciate (i'm french)

Thx for your time.

Take care

blaubär

Re: ReplayGain caculate with musicbee vs Neutron Normalisation?

Post by blaubär » Tue May 18, 2021 4:05 am

I found this one here :
blaubär wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:35 am
As to "peak" vs "replay gain" :
ReplayGain
ReplayGain is a proposed standard published by David Robinson in 2001 to measure and normalize the perceived loudness of audio in computer audio formats such as MP3 and Ogg Vorbis. It allows media players to normalize loudness for individual tracks or albums. This avoids the common problem of having to manually adjust volume levels between tracks when playing audio files from albums that have been mastered at different loudness levels. [...] Peak amplitude is not a reliable indicator of loudness, so consequently peak normalization does not offer reliable normalization of perceived loudness.
So it would seem that we can choose between two distinct measurements to base normalization of a track upon : the peak level (which Neutron finds out by reading and decoding the complete track and analyzing it for its maximum value) or the RG value (which maybe Neutron calculates itself or reads from the tags if the information is already available there, but as it clearly takes some time to calculate I think Neutron does the measurement from the complete track).

And that might give a reason why you can still set the EQ with RG normalization : if you use the peaks it's clear that you'll produce clipping if you further increase the EQ after normalization, but with RG that might still be possible without necessarily exceeding the 0 dB threshold.
Afaik the normalization doesn't change the track but binds the tracks of an album to an equalizer preset, stores information in its internal database and uses this to set the preamp-level.