Equal volume for all songs, how?

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
WitzyZed

Re: Best practices for consistent volume level when listening to diverse playlist on shuffle

Post by WitzyZed » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:13 am

I think Neutron's normalize function is done with an EQ preset in mind, it is not a blanket "normalize volume" setting.

blaubär

Re: Best practices for consistent volume level when listening to diverse playlist on shuffle

Post by blaubär » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:33 am

Seventieslord wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:06 pm
Does neutron normalize based on the absolute peak level of a song, or does it look at the average throughout the song?
blaubär wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:35 am
As to "peak" vs "replay gain" :
ReplayGain
ReplayGain is a proposed standard published by David Robinson in 2001 to measure and normalize the perceived loudness of audio in computer audio formats such as MP3 and Ogg Vorbis. It allows media players to normalize loudness for individual tracks or albums. This avoids the common problem of having to manually adjust volume levels between tracks when playing audio files from albums that have been mastered at different loudness levels. [...] Peak amplitude is not a reliable indicator of loudness, so consequently peak normalization does not offer reliable normalization of perceived loudness.
So it would seem that we can choose between two distinct measurements to base normalization of a track upon : the peak level (which Neutron finds out by reading and decoding the complete track and analyzing it for its maximum value) or the RG value (which maybe Neutron calculates itself or reads from the tags if the information is already available there, but as it clearly takes some time to calculate I think Neutron does the measurement from the complete track).

And that might give a reason why you can still set the EQ with RG normalization : if you use the peaks it's clear that you'll produce clipping if you further increase the EQ after normalization, but with RG that might still be possible without necessarily exceeding the 0 dB threshold.

Seventieslord

Re: Equal volume for all songs, how?

Post by Seventieslord » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:18 am

blaubär wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:45 pm
Yes, I would assume they play the music in a way that most pleases their target audience. Of course, if you're in a noisy environment you either have to reduce the dynamics or you won't be able to listen to dynamic music. So changing the dynamics according to need can be a sensible thing to do. With classical music IMHO this should be done on an album basis, not per song, so Neutron's compressor might be more suited to the purpose than its normalization.
Is there a guide somewhere that I could read about how to make the best use of the compressor? Will it only work on a "within the song" basis (as in bring the loud and quiet together), or will it work song by song, compressing ones that have a ton of headroom and leaving already loud ones alone?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:09 am

Seventieslord wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:18 am
Is there a guide somewhere that I could read about how to make the best use of the compressor? Will it only work on a "within the song" basis (as in bring the loud and quiet together), or will it work song by song, compressing ones that have a ton of headroom and leaving already loud ones alone?
For a brief manual see here. In short: it changes the volume instantaneously, depending only on the volume in a short time slot around the actual time.

Seventieslord

Post by Seventieslord » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:52 pm

blaubär wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:09 am
Seventieslord wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:18 am
For a brief manual see here. In short: it changes the volume instantaneously, depending only on the volume in a short time slot around the actual time.
Thank you. I think this might be the key for me. It sounds like it works the way I would want. I'd like to learn more, but the link in the thread you sent me to appears to be outdated - it leads to a different site

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:48 am

Seventieslord wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:52 pm
Thank you. I think this might be the key for me. It sounds like it works the way I would want. I'd like to learn more, but the link in the thread you sent me to appears to be outdated - it leads to a different site
It leads to viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6144&sid=076f4adaa8 ... ef4ceb5d10 Dynamics Compression: Compressor

Seventieslord

Post by Seventieslord » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:48 pm

blaubär wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:48 am
Seventieslord wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:52 pm
It leads to viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6144&sid=076f4adaa8 ... ef4ceb5d10 Dynamics Compression: Compressor
No, I'm referring to the link to a tutorial that takes me here

https://www.meldaproduction.com/effects ... 6b0a1c0e0c

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:42 pm

Seventieslord

Post by Seventieslord » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:07 pm

Sorry, I got it now. Apparently in this forum if you're in mobile and you click a link that is truncated with "..." , Your browser tries to take you there, complete with "...".

it was going to some default page at melda but I'm there now. Looks very useful, thanks for the help.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:18 am

Seventieslord wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:07 pm
Apparently in this forum if you're in mobile and you click a link that is truncated with "..." , Your browser tries to take you there, complete with "...".
Generally ( and especially on my Samsung S9 with FireFox browser ) it works, must be a local problem with your os and/or browser.

EDIT: with mobile Chrome I can reproduce the effect. Chrome on PC works.