How to enable dsd

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
Giva

How to enable dsd

Post by Giva » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:14 pm

Is it possible to enable dsd output in the trial version? If so, how?

blaubär

Re: How to enable dsd

Post by blaubär » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:41 am

The question isn't trial or not but does the DAC support DSD.

Giva

Post by Giva » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:45 pm

DLNA to Sony Receiver with DSD is what I'm trying to make work.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:53 pm

If you enable "Settings > Audio Hardware > DSD, DSD over DSP (DoP)" and play DSD then Neutron won't convert the DSD input to PCM but instead transfer it as it is to the DAC. If the DAC doesn't support this you'll only hear a very faint and noisy version of the sound.

dsd.jpg
dsd.jpg (42.23 KiB) Viewed 3336 times
The downside of this is that you won't be able to use Neutron's DSP. If you don't activate the option Neutron will convert the DSD input to PCM and then process it the usual way.

seantrow

DSD on Fiio M11 Plus LTD

Post by seantrow » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:33 am

I can't seem to get DSD playback to work on the M11 Plus LTD. (DSF plays back at 44khz.)

I've tweaked pretty much all the settings under Audio Hardware. A lot of posts on this forum reference enabling "Generic Driver" option. I see no such option under Audio Hardware. Am I looking in the wrong place, or is this only available on certain devices? (Or am I just blind? ;) )

Thanks,
Sean

seantrow

Re: DSD on Fiio M11 Plus LTD

Post by seantrow » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:47 am

Just checked on my Pixel phone - there are a bunch more options available there. Any idea why they are missing on my Fiio device? The app version is the same.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:00 am

If Neutron gets tracks in DSD format then it automatically converts them to PCM. That doesn't depend on the hardware and should work on all platforms. Certain DACs can play DSD directly - see the merged topic how to disable the conversion to PCM in case you want to try this out. AFAIK this has nothing to do with the question of generic driver ( which means AudioTrack ) versus not generic driver ( which mean OpenSL ES ) on Android. Generally different hardware and operation systems will show different options in the Audio Hardware Section. Especially the Fiio is a very special hardware with a very special Android.

seantrow

Post by seantrow » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:30 am

Thanks for your comments, they help me understand the situation. However I can't make it work; if I turn on DoP the status shows 176.4K but no audio plays. Seems like this is supposed to work on the M11/M11 Plus, is the M11 Plus LTD different somehow?
Sean

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:03 am

What is it that doesn't work, the normal playing of DSD ( via conversion to PCM ) or the direct transfer to the DAC ? If you cannot play DSD at all I suggest you set all parameters in Audio Hardware to defaults ( there's a button at the bottom to do this ) and try again, if that doesn't work that might be a bug. If direct DSD doesn't work then most probably the DAC doesn't support it, then there's nothing that Neutron can do about it.

Julius Decimus

Post by Julius Decimus » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:02 am

seantrow wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:30 am
Thanks for your comments, they help me understand the situation. However I can't make it work; if I turn on DoP the status shows 176.4K but no audio plays. Seems like this is supposed to work on the M11/M11 Plus, is the M11 Plus LTD different somehow?
Sean
Try setting so: go to audio hardware settings then activate DSD, DSD over PCM (DoP). Then go one more step inside and check the 'Native DSD'. Apply the changes of the settings (by clicking on the tick down on the right) and try to play again.

Are these same files playing on other device you have ? Are you sure the files are fine and not corrupted ? And you are not trying to play DSD above what Fiio supports, which it should have up to DSD256 at least. Is your memory card fast enough as well. Or you are using the internal memory.

In Head Fi forums, on the older Fiio M11 enabling the 'Native DSD' helped some people. So this is why i suggest you try these settings.
Attachments
Neutron DSD.jpg
Neutron DSD.jpg (111.79 KiB) Viewed 3202 times