Can someone help me with an EQ preset ideal for live music (specifically Grateful Dead)

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
ajb89

Can someone help me with an EQ preset ideal for live music (specifically Grateful Dead)

Post by ajb89 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:48 pm

I've had Neutron on my android and PC for a while but I'm only now really trying to learn how to optimize it. I've been finding my Grateful Dead live recordings (all FLAC) have been too quiet for me to enjoy. I turned on the UHQ upscaler on my phone and it has made it a bit louder, but I've been reading that probably isn't ideal for sound quality.

I'm wondering if some kind soul will help me figure out how to get the volume up on the recordings and set up and ideal EQ for listening to the Dead and other live rock music. I just have Sony WH-CH700n headphones, so nothing too fancy. I was thinking of getting a cheap portable amp as well, but not sure if that would help with the quality of headphones I have. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Ajb89

blaubär

Re: Can someone help me with an EQ preset ideal for live music (specifically Grateful Dead)

Post by blaubär » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:17 pm

As to the headphones : rtings think you can use them without having to correct the frequency response much :

rtings.jpg
rtings.jpg (55.85 KiB) Viewed 617 times
But if you want to do it anyway there's an frc preset available :

frc.jpg
frc.jpg (5.81 KiB) Viewed 617 times
curve.jpg
curve.jpg (22.93 KiB) Viewed 617 times
As to the music : from what I know about them the Grateful Dead are a live band that placed value on faithfully recording their performances without much sophisticated postprocessing. So that would suggest not to use an equalizer ( once the fidelity of the transducers has been established, see above ) to change the music. If you want to do this anyway have a look at the existing presets.

eqpre.jpg
eqpre.jpg (40.64 KiB) Viewed 607 times