Swapping Micro SD Card - do I need to update the library

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
FenceFurniture

Swapping Micro SD Card - do I need to update the library

Post by FenceFurniture » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:19 am

I'm using Neutron on a Shanling M6 Pro 21 DAP (and I must say that Neutron KILLS the built in software). The OS is Android 7.1 (disappointingly old for a brand new to the market DAP in mid-2021).
I have 2 Micro SD 1TB cards. I haven't been able to work out if I need to update the directories if I swap the cards (they have both been scanned in). Will the Neutron software remember the directory contents for an absent card?

This is kinda critical because there are 18,000 songs on one card, and 20,000 on the other, so updating the library takes a while...
What I'd like to be able to do is to swap the cards when required and play some tunes fairly quickly.

blaubär

Re: Swapping Micro SD Card - do I need to update the library

Post by blaubär » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:51 am

When you remove a card, whether replacing it with another one or not, the os should mark the card as removed, and so Neutron should recognize it as removed. The other card should be recognized as new. So Neutron will do a rescan.
---
Even deleting all data from an existing card and replacing them by other data would lead Neutron to recognize that data changed and initiate a rescan.
---
You can deactivate the automatic rescan ( Maintenance of Sources ), but I doubt that this would make Neutron behave the way you want to use it.
---
The easiest way would probably be to use a 2 Tb card, that should work with the Shanling M6 Pro 21 DAP
As for internal memory, M6 is having 32 Gb of music storage and if you would like to expand it, just use a microSD card up to 2 Tb in size.

FenceFurniture

Post by FenceFurniture » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:02 am

Thanks for your response - much as I thought.

The problem with 2TB cards is....they don't exist yet... (and when they do, they'll be hell expensive, maybe USD800 or so, for a while). At the moment it's just a theoretical limit, and only Sandisk make a 1TB card.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:58 am

Well, there's the cloud ... provided you've got a fast und reliable network everywhere you go :D .

WitzyZed

Post by WitzyZed » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:31 am

Technically, you could hide away a separate NeutronMP folder or database file specific to each microSD card (once these have been fully scanned at least once by Neutron).
Just swap them back and forth when the SD card is physically changed.
Annoying to do? Possibly…
Still quicker than rescanning 18-20 thousand songs.

FenceFurniture

Post by FenceFurniture » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:13 am

I really like the way Neutron performs when playing music, but I have to say I am completely and utterly lost on how to update the library correctly. It just doesn't seem to be intuitive.

I have just been through a 30 minute process where it rescanned for files, and I kept turning the screen back on to make sure it was still going. It finished scanning all the files, and I saw going through the folder "5. Fusion & Jazz", but I can't get it to display that folder.

The SD card is called Music 1-5 and it has 26,217 songs on it (Neutron says that). I can see the first 4 folders which have songs, and I presume that all of them are in the library. However in the folder list I cannot see "5. Fusion & Jazz" but there are isolated examples of artists there in the library from that folder. Probably about 4-5 that I saw scrolling through, but there are well over 100 artists in that folder.

When I click the Folders icon it shows SD [Music 1-5] which has 18,675 songs, and when I click on SD [Music 1-5] it only shows the first four folders, but when I click the Sources icon to the right of the Folders icon, it says Music 1-5 has 26,217 songs.

How can this be? What do I need to do to get a scan to go into the library (remembering that I saw all of the artists get scanned for 5.)?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:49 am

For general information how to deal with sources see here. Neutron scans all the files in all the sources ( which from Android 12 on can take a lot of time, see here ). It then adds the results into its internal database. This data can then be accessed via the "library".

As to the library: it can be configured in "Settings > User Interface > Media Library"

config.jpg
config.jpg (30.9 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
You can access the libary via the folder structure or using other data fields like album, artist, song etc.

library.jpg
library.jpg (26.62 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
The sources can also be accessed and show all the songs that they contain, but that's not the most sensible way to access the libary.