Strange behavior of Replay Gain

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
LunatiqueRob

Strange behavior of Replay Gain

Post by LunatiqueRob » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:17 pm

I've noticed that the Replay Gain feature doesn't work as I expected. Instead of changing the levels of the tracks (I use track-based, not album based) so all of them sound at the same loudness at I'd expect, it would let the next track play quite loud if the track's arrangement is sparse in the beginning without too much other instruments or low frequency content, then once the track progresses to the part where the arrangement becomes more dense and low frequency notes appears, the Replay Gain would drop the volume of the track to be quieter as to not clip the audio.

This is not how Replay Gain is supposed to work. It should be able to read ahead and find the peak loudness of the track and then as soon as the track starts, it's already at the lowered level.

I tried experimenting with various settings, combos of DSP (such as Automatic Gain Protection on or off, in conjunction with the Replay Gain), but I can't seem to find a setting that behaves as I expect of Replay Gain.

What am I doing wrong? Or is this a known bug?

blaubär

Re: Strange behavior of Replay Gain

Post by blaubär » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:25 pm

The volume decrease you observed have have been cause by AGP, perhaps you deactivate that and retry.
Probably the "normalize" function is what would most help you to get equal volume, see here .

LunatiqueRob

Post by LunatiqueRob » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:03 am

Thanks. Is there any way for Neutron to automatically scan the files during import for the normalization, instead of requiring us to do it manually? I mean, Replay Gain, once turned on, is automatic, and we don't have to do anything.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:51 am

LunatiqueRob wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:03 am
Thanks. Is there any way for Neutron to automatically scan the files during import for the normalization, instead of requiring us to do it manually? I mean, Replay Gain, once turned on, is automatic, and we don't have to do anything.
No, there isn't. There's the compressor, but that isn't quite what you want. You might try to recalculate RG for all your files ( perhaps using foobar, I think that can do tasks like that ) to get reliable RG entries everywhere, but then it's probably easier to normalize with Neutron :-) .