Fiio M11 Pro DSD256 Works! How is MQA Handled?

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
dwc2580

Re: USB DAC support on USB OTG enabled devices

Post by dwc2580 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:53 am

blaubär wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:35 am
dwc2580 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:50 am
Hi, I get a Zorloo Ztella, it can play MQA on my pc and Amarra on iPhone (MQA shows purple light), but only shows red light with Neutron player on iPhone, that means Neutron player can recognize the track is FLAC but not decoding as MQA files.
blaubär wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:22 pm
MQA isn't a free software, and it isn't included in Neutron's specification. So probably Neutron will treat it as FLAC :
MQA-encoded content can be carried via any lossless file format such as FLAC or ALAC; hence, it can be played back on systems either with or without an MQA decoder. In the latter case, the resulting audio has easily identifiable high-frequency noise occupying 3 LSB bits, thus limiting playback on non-MQA devices effectively to 13 bit. MQA claims that nevertheless, the quality is higher than "normal" 48/16, because of the novel sampling and convolution processes.
Which means it converts the contents to PCM ( not perfectly, see above ) and processes this ( the conversion to DSD at the end is an optional one, which I generally wouldn't advise ).

What you might want to propose is for Neutron either to license MQA and poperly decode MQA and/or implement an identification and direct transfer of MQA to the DAC ( whether Neutron would have to obtain an MQA license for this I don't know ), similar to the one Neutron already has for DSD.
Ok, thanks!