Hardware gain lossy?

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
mvpthemichael

Hardware gain lossy?

Post by mvpthemichael » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:21 pm

Is the android hardware gain volume control lossy (digital) or an analog way of changing gain? Does the behavior change when using a portable DAC that doesn't have its own volume control and thus relies on the android hardware gain?

blaubär

Re: Hardware gain lossy?

Post by blaubär » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:32 pm

I think the term "lossy" isn't synonym to "digital". "lossy" as I know it refers to a transformation of digital data where some is lost. It is not used to denote calculation errors. If it were then imho we'd better use it for analog processing too: digital calculations produce quantisation noise, but analog processing isn't without noise either.

mvpthemichael

Post by mvpthemichael » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:00 pm

Okay, what I want to know is if the android hardware gain volume control is a digital or analog process.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:32 pm

Well, do you have reason to believe that this question has a universal answer for all DACs ? Might depend on the DAC.
As to an external DAC : do you have one ? what happens when you don't have volume control there ? I'd expect the hardware gain setting of the smartphone to have no influence on the external DAC in this case. You'll then have to use the Gain slider, which appears on the eq screen if you disable the hardware gain slider in the Audio Hardware Settings.