64bit version bugs

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
x3ad

64bit version bugs

Post by x3ad » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:57 pm

hey all, I started using 64bit version recently and have come across a number of bugs that I would like to report and ask for an advice.

1) if I start playing a song and then pause the song and leave the player for some time, then when I press PLAY again the song does not play but start skipping, e.g. fast-forward with no sound;

2) sometimes I start playing a selection of songs from a folder. During the playback I also run Normalization. If Normalization process has "fixed" gain of the current song and if I click NEXT then instead of going to the next song in the selection the player plays from the beginning of the list;

3) on some MP3 files playback stops, the resets then stops again then resets. Almost as if some kind of driver is crashing and reseting. On some files the playback does not restart, it just stops and I have to hit PLAY again to start the playback. The application runs fine, e.g. does not crash.

I am using the application on Shanling M6 21. I have enabled Hi-Res playback and have settings such as Audiophile quality, Bit-perfect playback and Follow the source frequency enabled. The version I am using is the latest available on Neutron website.

Has anyone come across similar behaviour? Could this be due to my settings? I used 32bit version on Shanling M6 with no issues at all.

TIA

blaubär

Re: 64bit version bugs

Post by blaubär » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:27 am

What happens if you reduce the sampling rate, e.g. by deactivating "Follow Source Frequency", "Oversampling" etc and not manually choosing a high value ?

x3ad

Post by x3ad » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:53 pm

I was not choosing any high values - most of the time I use the default settings.

I just tried what you suggested - turning oversampling off and keeping "follow source freq" off but the behaviour is still the same - from time to time the app stops playing music. The app does not crash but music does not play. In fact, I discovered that keeping "Follow source freq" helps to reduce amounts the app is crashing.

I then thought that this might be somehow related to EQ so I tried with EQ on and off and the behaviour is still the same - will play some part of a song and then crash.

I seem to have discovered another bug.

Imagine I have the following structure:

Music/FolderA
Music/FolderB
Music/FolderC

Now, I add Folder(A/B/C) through "Sources" and listen to music (at this stage "Folders" section will show that there are 3 folders). Then I add "Music" folder and later remove "Music" folder from the media library. At this stage Folder(A/B/C) are still listed in "Sources" but not listed in "Folders" anymore (however, "Folders" will still report as if there are 3 folders available in the media library). In order to listen to music from these folders again I need to remove Folder(A/B/C) from the media library and re-add through "Sources". If you wonder why did I have to add/remove "Music" folder - there was a track in "Music" which I needed to listen to but since individual files in folders are not being discovered unless I add the folders in "Sources" I ended up adding the entire "Music" folder.

Does the app dump logs somewhere? Is there a way to run the app with some option turned on in a config file so that I can collect some logs?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:30 pm

Okay, then it is not a problem of CPU overload. Which download did you install ?
---
On Android the directory for Neutron is /NeutronMP. If you create a subdirectory /NeutronMP/Logs then the app will produce logs there.

20211128_143232.jpg
20211128_143232.jpg (24.86 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
But it won't write much - feel free to ask neutronmp@gmail.com for a test apk with extended logging.
---
As to the sources: yes, that's a known effect, also see here
Please note: sources mustn't overlap. If you create a source that contains files already included by another source, Neutron will show errors.

x3ad

Post by x3ad » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:49 pm

Which download did you install ? - Generic Neutron Music Player (ARM64)

feel free to ask neutronmp@gmail.com for a test apk with extended logging - perfect, will do.

thanks for elaborating on sources.

Just to let you know - I have reset audio hardware settings to their defaults. I then reviewed FAQ page on Neutron website once again. I reviewed https://neutroncode.com/faq/38-bit-perfect-output and paid attention to the following line
To achieve Bit-Perfect output you will need to switch off all DSP effects (check DSP Effects section in Neutron's settings) and Dithering.
I have had dithering turned on. I have switched dithering off and enabled "Follow source frequency". Since I had dithering switched off I have not had a single crash on the same track that was crashing previously.

I will keep an eye on performance of the app and will let you know of any more issues.

Many thanks

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:02 pm

Good luck !

( as long as you don't use any DSP you won't need 64-bit-processing or Audiophile Quality Resampling anyway )

x3ad

Post by x3ad » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:26 am

I am afraid I spoke too soon - the playback is still crashing.

I have disabled "Follow source frequency" since I am using DSP (EQ). Both "Follow Source Freq" and "Oversampling" settings are off, Dithering is off, Frequency is set to Default and this gives me sample rate of 384kHz. File I am listening to is 320kbps MP3 (not VBR).

At the time when the crash has happened I was playing music and running normalization process at the same time. I considered that audio might have crashed because of CPU overload, so when the normalization process finished I have played the same song from start. Audio is still crashing and crashes are very intermittent.

Are there any other settings that might be involved that I need to have on/off?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:13 pm

You could manually set the sampling rate ( Audia Hardware > Frequency ) to a lower value - your 320 kbps mp3 probably has a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz - and try that, then Neutron won't have to resample. Of course, you'd get the same effect when you activate "Follow Source Frequency" ( and haven't activated Oversampling ).

sampling-rate-mp3.jpg
sampling-rate-mp3.jpg (44.29 KiB) Viewed 1805 times

x3ad

Post by x3ad » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:08 am

I will try that but also would like to mention that yesterday at some point I could not even get the app to play a single song - audio was crashing as soon as I press PLAY button. I am under impression that 64bit processing might be the issue - I ended up disabling the setting in order to listen to some music. If I could fetch some logs would be great - I emailed for the test apk but haven't got one yet