Neutron scrambling 'greatest hits' files & folders

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
karlbu

Neutron scrambling 'greatest hits' files & folders

Post by karlbu » Thu May 12, 2022 12:26 am

I am using the Neutron paid app for Android, version 2.20.0. There are several sub-folders in my music catalog that are named "Greatest Hits." after the title of the album. Specifically:

The Bruce Springsteen folder has a "Greatest Hits" album sub-folder.
The Marshall Tucker Band folder has a "Greatest Hits" album sub-folder.
The Stevie Ray Vaughan folder has a "Greatest Hits" album sub-folder.
The Martin Denny folder has a "Greatest Hits' album sub-folder.

Although the music files in each of the above folder hierarchies are correct, wwhen I go to play the Stevie Ray Vaughan "Greatest Hits" album, Neutron also serves up music tracks from Springsteen's "Greatest Hits" and Martin Denny's "Greatest Hits," and Marshall Tucker Band's "Greatest Hits"—all scrambled and jumbled together.

See attached screen shot.

This is obviously a bug which needs to be fixed. However, I don't see any way to contact Neutron directly about this.

karlbu
Neutron screen shot.jpg
Neutron screen shot.jpg (189.13 KiB) Viewed 4858 times

blaubär

Re: Neutron scrambling 'greatest hits' files & folders

Post by blaubär » Thu May 12, 2022 4:35 am

karlbu wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 12:26 am
Although the music files in each of the above folder hierarchies are correct, wwhen I go to play the Stevie Ray Vaughan "Greatest Hits" album, Neutron also serves up music tracks from Springsteen's "Greatest Hits" and Martin Denny's "Greatest Hits," and Marshall Tucker Band's "Greatest Hits"—all scrambled and jumbled together.
blaubär wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:42 pm
The question is : what is an album ? Neutron lets you customize this definition, have a look at Settings > Media Library . You can use the "Album Artist" tag, provided you have set it correctly - then group and split by Album Artist. Or you can split by path, if different albums reside in different folders.
If the tags of the music files are properly maintained I'd suggest the following configuration:

ml.jpg
ml.jpg (52.68 KiB) Viewed 4856 times

MotleyG

Post by MotleyG » Thu May 12, 2022 2:27 pm

karlbu wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 12:26 am
I am using the Neutron paid app for Android, version 2.20.0. There are several sub-folders in my music catalog that are named "Greatest Hits." after the title of the album. Specifically:

The Bruce Springsteen folder has a "Greatest Hits" album sub-folder.
The Marshall Tucker Band folder has a "Greatest Hits" album sub-folder.
The Stevie Ray Vaughan folder has a "Greatest Hits" album sub-folder.
The Martin Denny folder has a "Greatest Hits' album sub-folder.

See attached screen shot.

This is obviously a bug which needs to be fixed. However, I don't see any way to contact Neutron directly about this.

karlbu

Neutron screen shot.jpg
Make sure the AlbumArtist tag field is properly completed for all of your Albums. This will ensure titles like "Greatest Hits" are properly split. Use the settings suggested by @blaubär for these to work.

Seventieslord

How to make "different artist, same album name" show up separately

Post by Seventieslord » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:51 am

When I go into an artist, then click on an album called, for example, "Greatest Hits", the songs I'm seeing are not just the songs from that particular artist's Greatest Hits album, but in fact all songs that are on any album by the same title.

The one thing I can think of is to re-tag hundreds of files, changing all these album names to unique names. But that's the long way. There must be a way I can fix this within NMP.

MotleyG

Re: How to make "different artist, same album name" show up separately

Post by MotleyG » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:35 pm

To ensure Album's with the same name get separated, you need to make sure you have the AlbumArtist tag completed as well. This is how most library database managers know the difference between these titles. If however the same Artist has used that title before (I.e. Queen has released a Greatest Hits at least twice, so far) then you need to be a bit more creative and either append a release date Tom the end, add an extra space character on the end, use different but similar looking Unicode characters in the title, etc.

Seventieslord

Post by Seventieslord » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:21 am

I have the settings exactly as @blaubär has them in the screenshot in this thread, and I do use the album artist tag religiously. Still, I see Greatest Hits albums all together with eachother just as in the screenshot posted by @karlbu.

Any ideas?

(actually, suddenly all albumbs show as having zero songs, so I think maybe NMP is busy re-indexing everything... I should wait till it's done before reporting back)

MotleyG

Post by MotleyG » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:28 pm

Seventieslord wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:21 am
I have the settings exactly as @blaubär has them in the screenshot in this thread, and I do use the album artist tag religiously. Still, I see Greatest Hits albums all together with eachother just as in the screenshot posted by @karlbu.

Any ideas?

(actually, suddenly all albumbs show as having zero songs, so I think maybe NMP is busy re-indexing everything... I should wait till it's done before reporting back)
Are all of these tracks still under one folder?
Seventieslord wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:43 am
And what is it's all in one giant folder? :D
If you have each Album separated by using the AlbumArtist metadata tag, this should be enough. Neutron is further assisted in isolating these albums of the tracks are grouped in a proper folder structure with AlbumArtist/Album/(track files) or similar. There are some great tools out there that can do this quite quickly, I use mp3tag to manage my library tagging and folder management.

Seventieslord

Post by Seventieslord » Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:35 pm

Yeah, I spoke too soon, it's working as expected now. I had set it correctly and then NMP had not separated them out correctly, but it was actually re-indexing everything in the background when I made my last post.