WORKING Windows shared folder for Neutron media library

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
kentajalli

WORKING Windows shared folder for Neutron media library

Post by kentajalli » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:39 am

Hi
I could not access a shared folder on a Windows PC into Neutron Media Library as a source.
I asked on this forum, and got no helpful replies, tried other forums with no success, until I figured out how to do it successfully!
It turns out that Neutron is only "SMB 1" compatible, which is not Windows default SMB setting. Once I realized that, the rest came in quickly.
I posted on Headfi https://www.head-fi.org/threads/android ... t-16932047 instructions as to how successful implement the setup.

Here is a copy:

How to add a Windows Network Shared Music folder to Neutron Media Library.

Eureka!
Since Neutron Developers been busy :smiling_imp: and those who replied were of no help, I searched and found the way to do it!
- It seems that Neutron can read Samba networks (Edit: can read Samba 1 only) (I discovered that by accident) , we need to set up a Samba (smb) network on a Windows platform, and then create a specific shared folder to put all our Music in. We could in theory add this Shared Folder to Media Library in Neutron, and stream our music to it. No need to carry Terabytes of storage with our mobile phones or tablets.
Detailed Instructions:
It is a little complicated, but very do-able, fret not, just follow step by step instructions here
1- We need to enable Samba feature on our Windows machine first.
Go to Search and type Turn Windows Features , when the option is found click on it.
Scroll down to this, and tick them:

Click OK to accept the change, wait for it to finish, Restart Windows.
After Windows restarts, go to Search again and type CMD, Right-Click on CMD and Run as Administrator.
Copy this line and paste it into the command line:
DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /All /FeatureName:SMB1Protocol
Hit Enter.
Wait for confirmation and close the window.
Samba server feature is now enabled.
2- Now we need to create our specific music Shared folder.
Locate your Music folder of choice and Right-Click on it, choose Properties and go to Sharing Tab.

In the middle of the box, click on Advanced Sharing.
Tick on Share This Folder and click on Permissions.

Remove Everyone !
Click Add and in the box that appears click Advanced. (bottom left)

Click Find Now button (Middle right) , in the box below, choose a password enabled account.

Click OK to choose it and close the boxes.
3- You are almost done!
- Goto your Neutron, navigate to Media Library, tap on Sources click + and then tap on Network .
Click + to add a network location, Here you have to give it the Network location (either \\ computer name or IP address), Username and Password for the Password enabled account you chose at folder sharing.

Tap on Check - now your network location should appear under Network.
Tap on it, it will see the network, you can add your Network Music Folder to the Media Library.
You are Done!
Enjoy you music.