Neutron created duplicates in some folders/albums

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
mac_angel

Neutron created duplicates in some folders/albums

Post by mac_angel » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:33 pm

Not sure how long ago, but a while now. I go to play an album and I'll hear the same song twice in a row. I'll look at Neutron Music Player, and the list of songs in the album, and it will have two of everything. When I check the actual folder, there's nothing duplicated, just in the play list.
I've never created play lists; I'm not sure how. I've always just played a whole album, and if I wanted, I'd skip a track I didn't want to listen to.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that didn't do anything. I'm assuming my settings are saved somewhere, but I didn't want to delete them in case it messes up something to do with my license (paid copy).
I have a LOT of music folders on my phone. They take up about 90% of my phone's storage, and 256GB SD card, so going in and deleting each duplicate song will be extremely tedious.

kentajalli

Re: Neutron created duplicates in some folders/albums

Post by kentajalli » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:10 pm

I noticed this too.
In my case, there are two or even three songs in a row, all playing at the same time!
Weird!

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:54 pm

I suggest you take one example of a duplicte song, invoke the file information ( long press on song title in playing now screen or tracklist ) for both instances of this song and compare the physical properties ( file name / directory ) and the tags ( artist / artist / album / title /discnumber / year etc ).

Screenshot 2022-06-17 154842.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-17 154842.jpg (17.92 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
Screenshot 2022-06-17 154645.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-17 154645.jpg (14.51 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
If both files are identical then Neutron has got duplicate entries in its library, I would suggest to check the source entries and remove duplicates there and then do a total recan ( library > sources > scan ).

If they differ somehow then I would conclude that you've got duplicate songs and Neutron correctly displays them.

mac_angel

Post by mac_angel » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:57 am

blaubär wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:54 pm
I suggest you take one example of a duplicte song, invoke the file information ( long press on song ) for both instances of this song and compare the physical properties ( file name / directory ) and the tags ( artist / artist / album / title /discnumber / year etc ).

Screenshot 2022-06-17 154842.jpg

Screenshot 2022-06-17 154645.jpg

If both files are identical then Neutron has got duplicate entries in its library, I would suggest to check the source entries and remove duplicates there and then do a total recan ( library > sources > scan ).

If they differ somehow then I would conclude that you've got duplicate songs and Neutron correctly displays them.
Not sure what you mean, other than if you're talking about checking the files in the folder, I had already said I did that. The files in the folders are correct. Neutron keeps making duplicates. I tried going through a couple of the folders and deleting the duplicates in Neutron, but as I also said, doing that for all of them would be extremely tedious. Not to mention when I did that, Neutron just went and made duplicates and even triplicates moments after.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:52 am

mac_angel wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:57 am
Not sure what you mean
I would suggest that you invoke Neutron's file information ( in Neutron long press on song title in playing now screen or tracklist, see screenshots ) for an example pair of duplicate entries, compare what is shown and tell us the result. This will help to analyze the root cause of the effect.

mac_angel

Post by mac_angel » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:22 pm

screenshots of long clicking first one of track 2
screenshots of long clicking second one of track 2 (#3 in the list)

And, as I pointed out, yesterday I used 'long click' to go into this, make multiple selections, go back and select all the duplicates, 'long click' and remove by delete. I did that with a couple of the folders. I'd play the album/folder, and after a bit I'd notice it playing the same song again. I'd go back and the duplicates would be there. Most times it seems to skip making a duplicate of the first song, just the rest. I would go back, delete them again. I'd listen to the second folder/album, after deleting the duplicates, and part way through that I'd hear the same song playing. I went back in and not only found duplicates again, but triplicates.
I've had Neutron rescan the folders multiple times and it makes no changes to the track lists.

ps. seems this forum doesn't let you use Google Drive for sharing photos. Give me a bit to upload them somewhere else.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:06 pm

Okay, so it seems Neutron stores exactly the same file twice in its library. I suggest you do a complete rescan ( library > long press on "sources" > scan )

Screenshot 2022-06-18 180509.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-18 180509.jpg (15.43 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
to rule out a temporary inconsistency. Should this again yield these duplicate entries then please contact neutronmp@gmail.com .

Nhk2508

Post by Nhk2508 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:22 pm

As far as I know, this may be due to there exist playlist (like cue file) having songs with same title as splitted music files within that folder. When scanning new music folder, Neutron will recognize all the songs twice in the folder. I experienced this some times and after deleting the cue file and rescan music library, this problem was solved.

Brgds
Kh

mac_angel

Post by mac_angel » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:12 pm

Nhk2508 wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:22 pm
As far as I know, this may be due to there exist playlist (like cue file) having songs with same title as splitted music files within that folder. When scanning new music folder, Neutron will recognize all the songs twice in the folder. I experienced this some times and after deleting the cue file and rescan music library, this problem was solved.

Brgds
Kh
So, I tried that out, hooked up my phone to my computer, did a search for all .CUE files and deleted them. I checked on the New Order folder that gives me the problem 100% of the time, and it seemed like the duplicates were gone. Yesterday I went to play New Order again, and all the duplicates were back. It never seems to duplicate the first song, just second and on. I checked the other New Order folders that are known to give me problems, and the duplicates were back in those as well.

mac_angel

Post by mac_angel » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:22 pm

So, it's gotten worse now. Maybe some update messed it up even more.
I still have many albums that are creating duplicates, usually starting with the second song and continuing. But now it's also not letting me delete them from within Neutron at all. They don't show up in the file system on my phone, or when I plug my phone into a computer. But Neutron is listen them in the playlist album. And when I click on them to delete or remove, I get an X pop up briefly in the middle of the screen, and nothing happens to the duplicates. I've tried this on multiple folders, and I've tried it with either the first or second duplicate.