Playlist changes revert after phone restart

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
miked789

Playlist changes revert after phone restart

Post by miked789 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:45 pm

Hello and thank you in advance for any help
Info:
Neutron is up to date.
Samsung Galaxy a50
Android version 11
Playlist exported from Mediamonkey 5 as .m3u from Windows 10

Changes I make to my playlists from inside Neutron (playlists I create on my PC and copy to Android) revert to the original file after I restart the phone.
This is not true of playlists I create from scratch inside Neutron, only playlists I created on my PC and copied to Android then change in Neutron.
Changes that revert include removing songs, adding songs or moving songs.
This started after I deleted my all my music files and playlists then copied them all back so I could re-arrange all my devices including my PC to have the same directory structure and more easily create/share playlists.

I'm not always as clear as I think I am so:

I created a playlist on my computer in .M3U format from MediaMonkey 5 and export to a file.
I load the file into Notepad++ and Search Replace to remove all leading G:\
I save the playlist on my PC then copy to Android in PLAYLISTS
Neutron sees the playlist after I re-scan the directory in what appears to be a random amount of time, sometimes hours later. Sometimes the day after a restart.
I noticed I had the wrong version of a song so I remove it from the playlist ensuring I press check.
I find the song I want, add it to the playlist, press check.
I move the song to where the other (removed) version was, press check.
Listen to the playlist, all is right with the world.
Leave Neutron, close the app.
Shut down Android, charge the phone.
...Next day
Start phone
start Neutron
Check playlist - Playlist has reverted back to when I first copied it to Android. Original song is back (lesser version of Talking Head's Life During Wartime) and the better version is gone from playlist, not at moved spot, not at bottom of playlist.
Since this is about the fifth time I've tried this after spending days just trying to get Neutron to recognize my source directories, I consider taking a shower and quietly weeping to myself. Instead I made a sandwich and ate my frustrations. It was garlic coil, cheddar, tomato and pickles on light rye. It was delicious.

Playlist directory is a directory in the root of my SD card (which has over 100GB free):

MP3
PLAYLISTS
Podcasts
Bunch Of Other Stuff

I've tried changing several different playlists I copied over, sized 11 KB to 100 KB (97 songs to 350) - same result
The same problem effects both .M3U and .M3U8 playlists (all of which are in the PLAYLISTS folder).
As I wrote above, it does not happen to playlists I created from scratch in Neutron. Changes are retained over restarts of Android.

EDIT - I might have spoken too soon about Neutron created playlists, although I can see and open Neutron created playlist in Neutron I can't find it on Android.
It isn't in /NeutronMP/playlists although an old queue is and the newest plist is from 08-09-2021.
Are they in a different directory now?
END EDIT

I suspect the problem is Androids new handling of files but I don't know how to fix the problem.
Thanks for any help

blaubär

Re: Playlist changes revert after phone restart

Post by blaubär » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:10 am

When you long press the playlist entry in the library the information windows opens, it should show the location and file name of the playlist. When you create playlists in Neutron it stores them in a special directory, on my S9 with Android 10 that is the "playlists" subdirectory under the main "NeutronMP" folder. There's a special source entry for that directory so that these playlist files created by Neutron are found. You might try to use this directory to store imported playlists. Maybe Neutron gets confused if it reads playlists from other sources as where and how to store their files if you change them in Neutron.

miked789

Post by miked789 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:28 am

Thanks for the suggestion.
Turns out this playlist is in
/data/user/0/com.neutroncode.mp/files/NeutronMP/playlists
Which I don't have access to.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:13 am