Android Auto/USB playthrough

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
frodawgg

Android Auto/USB playthrough

Post by frodawgg » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:49 pm

Howdy! New to the board here.

My car is equipped with Android Auto and when I plug my phone in, I am not getting audio through it from Neutron. Weird thing is, it's on the display and the track time is progressing, but I don't hear anything. I get audio from other apps. Do I need to change a setting or something?

Also, my other vehicle doesn't have Android Auto (or any other similar app that I'm aware of), but when I had an iPod, I was able to play it via USB. Is there a way to do that with Neutron (I have a Samsung Galaxy 8) directly via USB?

Thanks!

MotleyG

Re: Android Auto/USB playthrough

Post by MotleyG » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:06 pm

frodawgg wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:49 pm
My car is equipped with Android Auto and when I plug my phone in, I am not getting audio through it from Neutron. Weird thing is, it's on the display and the track time is progressing, but I don't hear anything. I get audio from other apps. Do I need to change a setting or something?
The connection to Android Auto is not always as easy as one would expect. Do you have this device paired by Bluetooth as well? The data is a USB connection but audio goes through BT. But it is strange that other apps on the same device are working.
frodawgg wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:49 pm
Also, my other vehicle doesn't have Android Auto (or any other similar app that I'm aware of), but when I had an iPod, I was able to play it via USB. Is there a way to do that with Neutron (I have a Samsung Galaxy 8) directly via USB?
Many car radios are capable of playing iPod direct. But playing an Android device through USB has less compatibility. It comes down to the device, what method of connection it supports through USB, and what the car radio can decipher.

frodawgg

Re: Android Auto/USB playthrough

Post by frodawgg » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:12 am

That's interesting. I didn't know the audio still went through Bluetooth; I assumed it went directly through the USB (shows how tech-savvy I am 🤣). Either way, I wanted to test it again before I responded, and sure enough, it was "playing", but not audibly. (And to clarify, I only use that specific phone for music, so I haven't checked other apps on that recently, but in the past, they've worked. I'll double-check tomorrow.) Perhaps a Neutron in-app setting I need to change?

What about USB OTG? I'm not too well-versed in that, either, but could that make a difference? (Not so much for the Android Auto, but for the direct USB in the other vehicle.)

If it's a lost cause, I guess it's no biggie. Since it's essentially Bluetooth anyway, I can go back to regular BT or AUX, although the former doesn't let me navigate different artists/playlists/etc. and the latter's not exactly the safest to navigate while driving. I'll make do.