VOlume control of digital optical signals

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
WileeCoyote

VOlume control of digital optical signals

Post by WileeCoyote » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:52 am

Hi,

Can Neutron control the volume of a digital signal? I am using my iPhone and converting the signal from lighting to optical via a bridge which feeds my power amplifier. Can I use the Gain control in the app. to control volume of this signal? Will the amp. deliver a max. volume signal? Is there any volume data generated by Neuton for a full digital optical signal?

Thanks

MotleyG

Re: VOlume control of digital optical signals

Post by MotleyG » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:57 pm

The iPhone does not have optical out, but what it does send out is USB audio. I'm assuming your bridge device (?) is making the transition to optical for you.

The USB audio volume is typically controlled by Neutron. There are several ways this can be handled, depending on the hardware capabilities and requirements. There is the main system volume that controls speaker and headphone output, as well as the typical USB audio levels. If you long press on the preamp logo (or browse to the Audio Hardware menu) you can optionally select to have Neutron control DAC levels with the Hardware Volume feature. And if that is still not able to interface with your hardware, you can at least resort to using the preamp levels to reduce the gain prior to the output.

Does your bridge or amplifier have any kind of volume controls?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:00 pm

... and you can use the main software gain ( show instead of hardware gain when that is disabled in Audio Hardware )

WileeCoyote

Post by WileeCoyote » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:27 pm

I am converting from USB to Optical via a D2D Toslink S/PDIF bridge using a Cypress CBD-6, using an OTG MIDI Lightning to USB cable from my iPhone

https://www.cypress.com.tw/en/Product/A ... rter/CDB-6

No volume control, but am happy to use Neutron for that