Bluetooth routing

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
eriksl

Bluetooth routing

Post by eriksl » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:30 pm

I have an interesting issue.

From the moment I had the upgrade from Android 11 to 12 I've had this problem. I even have it now, on another phone. This phone has been upgraded tot Android 13 recently and the issue still persists.

Most of the time when I start Neutron Player (or when it gets started automatically, because a paired Bluetooth device is connected), it starts playing the music on the phone's loudspeaker. It says it's playing on the device (headphone or car audio set or speaker) but sound is coming the phone anyway. After repeatedly disconnecting and connecting, I sometimes have the luck audio comes from the actual Bluetooth device.

An interesting aspect that this behaviour has been since the introduction of separately routable audio in Android. What it makes it interesting for Neutron, is that I only have it with Neutron. No problems with other players. Also when I get the routing to actually use the Bluetooth device (mostly after repeatedly switching between "intern" and "extern" sink), the sound is choppy until I pause the player and resume.

This is really strange, isn't it?

For now I have worked around it by specifying Neutron player as the "special" "separately routed" audio source to always use a connected Bluetooth device. Then it works, but I don't think it should be necessary?

I already tried toggling the A2DP hardware offload setting, but it doesn't make any difference.

Samsung can't help me, they say I should try to either factory reset or "network reset" my phone. I did the latter and no difference. I refuse to do a factory reset as it's on both my current and new phone, no difference there.

Information:
- relevant devices: Samsung S20, Samsung S22Ultra, not when using Android 11, but using Android 12 and 13
- relevant Bluetooth devices: several, including Sony and Sennheiser earbuds, Sony loudspeaker and Toyota car media.

Anyone that has Bluetooth audio working correctly, all of the time, on Samsung S phones? Or even better: a solution ;)