Oversampling /Follow Source Frequency

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
blaubär

Re: Oversampling /Follow Source Frequency

Post by blaubär » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:59 pm

john chung wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:50 pm
As to PCM to DSD, I do find they sound better on most songs, especially on music tracks which were recorded 50-60 years ago, like the Ventures guitar and some chacha music. Again, are there any setting for this function?
There's a submenu in "Settings > Audio Hardware > DSD over PCM > PCM to DSD"

Screenshot 2022-11-19 165815.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-19 165815.jpg (20.95 KiB) Viewed 528 times

Julius Decimus

Post by Julius Decimus » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:53 am

john chung wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:42 am
Are there any best settings for using bit-perfect and PCM to DSD ?
Yes, you want to set it so that Neutron upsamples to the maximum frequency supported by the DAC. So for example if the DAC supports 768khz, try upsampling to 768khz, for the DSD format if max. 128, then set it to 128. I see though that this DAC supports up to DSD512 in its specs ? Hidizs s9 pro. Neutron player currently offers DSD up to 256 for the PCM to DSD option. So best is you set it to 256 if the DAC accepts this.

"I am using a Huawei Media pad." - If the tablet can't do the upsampling with PCM to DSD option on (weak CPU or energy saving by Android) you will get artifacts in the sound like clicks and such, will not sound normal. If that is the case you can always return to the previous settings where was stable (DSD64). I see 2.4-2.8Ghz CPU on specs, this should be able to do 64bit processing + PCM to DSD 128 at least. But keep an eye on the Android energy plan, Neutron Player to be unrestricted.

There are other setting you could try, turning on or off the multithreading option in the PCM to DSD menu if it is not stable. Or going to Setting - Playback and unchecking the 64 bit processing. 32bit+PCM to DSD 256 is good combination. But if it can use the 64bit processing on.

If it is good idea to use PCM to DSD at all. I would say yes, this is one of the options that makes Neutron Player unique. So why not use it right. One uses Neutron Player for options like this and the super Equalizer. I think it does improve the sound. But is best noticable at the higher rates, so DSD128 or 256.

Edit: if you use the PCM to DSD option, the Oversampling 8x option in the PCM to DSD menu, is better to be On.

john chung

Post by john chung » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:30 am

Thank you, I am trying all advice that have received from you lot and hope to find the best settings for Neutron player which I think is the best player, at least for my Huawei pad.