Support for "Disk" tag ?

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
PenguinMusic

Support for "Disk" tag ?

Post by PenguinMusic » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:55 am

Hi there,

Since I discovered Neutron, I think this is quite a nice project and I would like to be able to use it as my daily driver.
I could almost do it, but there is one thing that is lacking to allow me to do so.
And that is the obvious (unless I have overseen a setting) lack of the "Disk" support.

What are the consequences ?
Simply put, if you want to listen to an album that has more than one disk, tracks will be played this way :
- CD1 - Track 1
- CD2 - Track 1
- CD3 - Track 1
- CD1 - Track 2
- CD2 - Track 2
- CD3 - Track2

Of course, the correct order should be :
- CD1 - Track 1
- CD1 - Track 2
- CD2 - Track 1
- CD2 - Track 2
- CD3 - Track 1
- CD3 - Track 2

And of course, if you're listening to "concept albums" like pink Floyd "The Wall" or to classical music (an opera or a full set of symphonies) that can be somewhat confusing :-)

A lot of other software can sort the tracks correctly. If Neutron could do that too, it would probably become my daily driver and I would be pleased to see the 10€ spent have been well spent :-)

Is there a way to do that already (without changing all tags of course) ?

If there is not, is there hope that this feature can be included ?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Regards.

blaubär

Re: Support for "Disk" tag ?

Post by blaubär » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:48 am

Have a look here, that topic describes how to make sure that the Neutron properly recognizes your albums, especially with regard to the question wheher you'd like to use the disc number to split albums or not.

As to the order of playing: the default is to sort first according to disc number, then track number. If that doesn't work for you make sure that the disc number is correct and that no other order is chosen in the library options.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:00 am

Btw The disc number is shown in the file info (long press on track) behind the album:

20230302_115811.jpg
20230302_115811.jpg (17.77 KiB) Viewed 1190 times

PenguinMusic

Post by PenguinMusic » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:11 pm

Hi Blaubär,

Well, it seems I have a problem then.
Because I already tried all possible music library settings.
And that does not change anything.

I have checked : the folders are "CD1", "CD2", "CD3".
But still, no difference : all "#1 tracks" are played and then it goes to all #2 tracks...

Besides, sorting the albums has another problem : if an album has the same name, it appears under the same "Playlist" even if those albums are made by 2 totally different artists.

I erased the music database and rescanned from scratch with the new settings applied.
No improvement...

I think that solving this problem would require to retag all problematic files. Which I will not do.

Not a problem.
There are sufficient other apps that do not have this problem (which is of course a real concern to use Neutron as a daily driver). BubbleUPnP, Symfonium, Emby, Volumio, Lumin... just to name a few. So I assume the "tagging" is correct... at least for those apps.
I will stick ot one of those apps that fits my needs properly and will simply not use Neutron despite it's obvious qualities (lyrics and DSP that are lacjking in other apps).
I'll check Neutron from time to time and see if an update solves this problem.
If not, I will survive the 10€ spent on Neutron :-)

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:58 pm

PenguinMusic wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:11 pm
But still, no difference : all "#1 tracks" are played and then it goes to all #2 tracks...
How your folders are named doesn't affect the disc number metadata that Neutron uses.
PenguinMusic wrote:
I think that solving this problem would require to retag all problematic files. Which I will not do.
If you don't want to rely on metadata but have your music ordered in the file system then I suggest you use the "Folders" view of the library ( if need be activate in "Settings > User Interface > Media Library" ) and browse that way. Then you should be able to drill down to the individual folders, and if these represent the CDs then you've got what you want.

Screenshot 2023-03-02 145548.jpg
Screenshot 2023-03-02 145548.jpg (20.67 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
Screenshot 2023-03-02 145345.jpg
Screenshot 2023-03-02 145345.jpg (41.28 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
Screenshot 2023-03-02 145653.jpg
Screenshot 2023-03-02 145653.jpg (38.43 KiB) Viewed 1169 times

MotleyG

Post by MotleyG » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:18 pm

PenguinMusic wrote:
This leads me to believe you do not have your files correctly tagged with the discnumber and totaldiscs tags. So the only method to browse and play these would be as $blaubear has stated, using the folder browsing method. Or add these tags at some point.
PenguinMusic wrote:
Besides, sorting the albums has another problem : if an album has the same name, it appears under the same "Playlist" even if those albums are made by 2 totally different artists.
This is a different issue, and to resolve it means your tags need to include the appropriate AlbumArtist tag. It is the combination of AlbumArtist + Album that allows any player to distinguish between Albums that have the same name.
PenguinMusic wrote:
How you handle tagging of your library is completely up to you. But excluding specific tags that help build a solid library won't help with most players.
PenguinMusic wrote:
Not a problem.
There are sufficient other apps that do not have this problem (which is of course a real concern to use Neutron as a daily driver). BubbleUPnP, Symfonium, Emby, Volumio, Lumin... just to name a few. So I assume the "tagging" is correct... at least for those apps.
I will stick ot one of those apps that fits my needs properly and will simply not use Neutron despite it's obvious qualities (lyrics and DSP that are lacjking in other apps).
I'll check Neutron from time to time and see if an update solves this problem.
If not, I will survive the 10€ spent on Neutron :-)
Hence the reason there are so many other apps available, not a single one ever fits for each user. But I can tell you that by making the two relatively easy changes mentioned above, you will be able to simplify the browsing aspect in Neutron as well as many other players. Try a metadata editor that can make mass changes for you like https://www.mp3tag.de/en/. On PC this is a free app, and will help to get those tags under control pretty quickly.

PenguinMusic

Post by PenguinMusic » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:06 am

Hi,

Thanks Blaubär for trying to help.
But browsing by folders does not help.
It can help on some files (a live performance).
But if I want to listen to a full set of symphonies, it often happens that CD1 has Symphonies 1 & 5, that CD2 has symphonies 4 & 7... when I retagged to have the first tracks of Symphony 1 to be labelled as "Disk 1" and the 4 track of Symphony 2 to be labelled as "Disk 2"... and so on.

MotleyG : here is what I do and how it is tagged.
Maybe I am not doing it correctly, but I think I am doing exactly what you're saying I should do...
So to be more precise, here is the thing.

I listen to a lot of classical music.
And I love the Beethoven piano concertos.
So, I took the time for each complete set of concertos, to edit the tags manually to tag the first 3 tracks of Piano concerto 1 as "Disk 1" and those of piano concerto 2 as "Disk 2".

Here is the screenshot of the result
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP ... JT26gv3u-W

As you can see in first column, the disk tag is there...
And in the first place, the 5 concertos are mixed up, with the first disk having concertos 1 & 4 and the second disk having concertos 3 &2. Disk 3 has concerto 5. So I changed that and that changed is reflected here.
So I assume that the thing is correctly tagged as splitted in several Disks.

If I display those albums in Emby which is the DMS I use because it is one of the fews to use the "AlbumArtist" tag to sort things, it displays the tracks as "Disk 1", "Disk 2" and up to "Disk 5" as there are 5 concertos as you can see in this screeshot https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO ... VCILu0agXT

But in Neutron, that does not reflect :-(

Here are the settings I use to show the library : https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP ... 2DlHTRrhZO

And after a complete rescan of the music library, here is what it shows for the same album with the tags https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... VkBQC2qAja
As you can see, the tracks are sorted "alphabetically" with tracks labelled as 1.xxx coming first before tacks labelled 1. yyyy anbd 1. zzz
Not what is expected...

As an example, here is how another App called Symfonium, shows the tracks : https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO ... pOfMHYsKpW

Mind you, I therefore consider that the problem does not come from the tags but from the way Neutron handles those... unless I am doing something wrong.

As I said : it looks like Neutron is perfect for people with needs different than mine.
It is not a criticism. Just a statement.

Regards.

P.S. : sorry, do not know how to include images directly into the message.
Last edited by PenguinMusic on Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:45 am

Sorry, I've got no access to the cloud-images. If you want to include images in this forum, do so via "Attachments" then "Add Files".

Screenshot 2023-03-03 124440.jpg
Screenshot 2023-03-03 124440.jpg (32.06 KiB) Viewed 1141 times

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:50 am

PenguinMusic wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:06 am
So, I took the time for each complete set of concertos, to edit the tags manually to tag the first 3 tracks of Piano concerto 1 as "Disk 1" and those of piano concerto 2 as "Disk 2".
As to the tags: if you tag anyway I suggest you do not use the disc tag for the concertos ... why not define each concerto as an album ?

Screenshot 2023-03-03 124900.jpg
Screenshot 2023-03-03 124900.jpg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

PenguinMusic

Post by PenguinMusic » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:03 pm

Hi,

Attachments are quite messy for me : I can't add an image because "File is too large"... It's a 300kb file .jpg or .png file !

As creating an album ofr each concerto : then I will not be able to simply click on the album and play the whole concertos in a row will I ?
I will have to create a playlist and I am not a big fan of playlists (too long to explain why).

And that of course requires to modifiy tags, which is exactly what I don't want to do.
Why ? Because almost ALL other players can handle my tags as intended, so I don't think the way I did tag the files is the culprit.

From your answers it seems this is not considered as "abnormal" and as such, there's little hope for a "quick and dirty fix".
As I said : not a problem.
I'll simply move on to something else that complies with my needs better.

I liked 2 features in Neutron :
- display of lyrics (when that is working) ;
- included DSP from remote that reflects on playback device (which is quite unique).

I found a system that can also display lyrics so taht solves "limitation" 1.
The system also includes a EQ and CamillaDSP (no clue how that Camilla DSP works, but I'll find out)
So for the time being that will do :-)

Thanks a lot.
I'll check Neutron from time to time to see if there's an improvement on that front :-)

Regards.