resume playback issue

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
htom

resume playback issue

Post by htom » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Recently (probably since the last version was released) I've found that the player will not resume playback in one type of case. Typically, I use a bluetooth set with the player, one that incorporates headphones. The player is set up to autostop playback when the set is detached from my phone (Galaxy SII), which it seems to do.

However, upon switching off the bluetooth connection, the player will not play back, with or without headphones or speakers connected directly to the phone. I can switch tracks and manipulate the player in every otrher way, but playback will not progress, although the spectrum analyzer will usually show the very first instant of playback (that is, some information is shown, albeit frozen at the moment). So what I am getting is not really a crash. A restart by using the program manager to terminate the program will usually fix the issue.

Note this issue does not occur if I reverse the order: playing through the headphone jack, then switching to bluetooth is not a problem.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: resume playback issue

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:24 pm

Unfortunately I can also reproduce such behavior and exactly in such order: BT connects to Android device. If connection is establishing from Android device to BT then all is working fine. The deadlocking happens inside Android OS API, e.g. Neutron is calling some audio API function of Android and during BT connection attempt it never returns from the call to Android OS. I believe that in some firmwares there is thread race condition happening. Unfortunately there is no way to fix it. I tried to but nothing helps so far...

htom

Post by htom » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:09 am

dmitrykos wrote:Unfortunately I can also reproduce such behavior and exactly in such order: BT connects to Android device. If connection is establishing from Android device to BT then all is working fine. The deadlocking happens inside Android OS API, e.g. Neutron is calling some audio API function of Android and during BT connection attempt it never returns from the call to Android OS. I believe that in some firmwares there is thread race condition happening. Unfortunately there is no way to fix it. I tried to but nothing helps so far...
What is most odd is this behavior is very recent. To me this precludes the phone's firmware, as it has not been updated in months.

htom

Post by htom » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:22 pm

Well, the problem no longer occurs after the latest update, so this is a dead issue for now.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:35 am

This is funny! :) Or not funny for the Android platform developer in general... I did not touch the responsible code in that area... Nevertheless, good that it resolved by itself.