Feature Request: Random Folder Advance?

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
nekromantik

Re: Feature Request: Random Folder Advance?

Post by nekromantik » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:00 pm

yeah other apps have option for play through folders which can be turned off so that if you do shuffle it only shuffles files in the current playing folder.
my set up is like below:

Internal Memory: Root/Music/
SD Card: Root/Albums/Artist/

So in neutron it shuffles all tracks in all folders

WitzyZed

Post by WitzyZed » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:03 am

nekromantik wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:00 pm

I'm not finding that to be Neutron's behavior at all...

If I'm browsing from the Artist category, select an Artist, choose an Album (with multiple songs), choose a track, turn on shuffle from Now Playing screen, and advance to new track, it stays within the chosen album.

If I'm browsing from the Folders category, choose All Folders (or drill down to any folder from my SD cards), choose any Album, choose a track, turn on shuffle from Now Playing Screen, and advance to new track, it stays within the chosen album/folder.

I cannot replicate Neutron shuffling outside of the chosen album or folder. How does it come about for you?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:50 am

Perhaps a misunderstanding ? The proposal to shuffle only in "some folders" might mean to have a list of folders which are shuffled, and the others aren't shuffled ( at all ). Contrary to shuffling the category when ending the current tracklist. Contrary to shuffling not just one folder but the tracks from a ( user-defined ) set of folders.

Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to merge the topics :D

Anyway, just now Neutron shuffles the current tracklist and nothing else. Shuffling doesn't change the choice of "next" tracklist, nor does it choose tracks from a set of tracklists instead of just one, nor does shuffling or not-shuffling the current tracklist depend on it being included in a set of to-be-shuffled-tracklists.

nekromantik

Post by nekromantik » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:29 pm

WitzyZed wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:03 am
nekromantik wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:00 pm

I'm not finding that to be Neutron's behavior at all...

If I'm browsing from the Artist category, select an Artist, choose an Album (with multiple songs), choose a track, turn on shuffle from Now Playing screen, and advance to new track, it stays within the chosen album.

If I'm browsing from the Folders category, choose All Folders (or drill down to any folder from my SD cards), choose any Album, choose a track, turn on shuffle from Now Playing Screen, and advance to new track, it stays within the chosen album/folder.

I cannot replicate Neutron shuffling outside of the chosen album or folder. How does it come about for you?
hmm maybe I will need to uninstall it and re install and start from fresh and see if it still happens.
What I do is I go to folder view and then go into 1 folder and choose a track and then shuffle rest but sometimes it shuffles to all music folder instead

audionaut

Post by audionaut » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:26 am

I find my question/request fairly similar to what this thread is about.

I have made a favorite playlists by creating duplicates of the album folders and audio files that I want in that playlist in a special favorite folder. Over the years I have found it easier to navigate between albums and artists with the Folders utility than in any other way, and this way of making a playlist therefor fits perfectly for me. I have been thinking that it would be really great if Neutron could shuffle between the subfolders in that favorite folder, without shuffling while in each subfolder. So that in other words, Neutron would play files from a subfolder alphabetically by file name, and when there are no tracks left to play in that subfolder, shuffle to another subfolder and play the files there alphabetically, and so on. Perhaps also, if there are some files in the favorite folder (that have not been put in a subfolder), those could be treated as if they were in a subfolder, that is be alphabetically played whenever their time to be played comes in the shuffle mechanism.

Alternatively, I wonder if there is a gradient to the shuffle feature that exists in Neutron app, so that shuffle could be adjusted to be more highly random or just slightly random so to speak, as - if you have noticed - Winamp used to have it. But the idea that I explained in the previous paragraph would still be much better, in my opinion.

Great app, this Neutron thing, thanks for creating and maintaing it.

:-)

vext01

Play a random album

Post by vext01 » Mon May 16, 2022 10:23 am

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating Neutron.

Is there a way to play a random album?

Thanks

blaubär

Re: Play a random album

Post by blaubär » Mon May 16, 2022 2:13 pm

vext01 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:23 am
Is there a way to play a random album?
No, currently not. Has been proposed, see this topic into which I merged yours.