Playlists

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
The Grudge

Playlists

Post by The Grudge » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:06 am

First let me say what an amazing application Neutron is. My brother suggested that I get it for my Z10 and he was right. Love it. I would like to say to the app developer how important it is that basic user functions be implemented , even more important than super advanced audiophile setting. While I guess I am an audiophile, I would still say I would rather have less ability to set dither then to be able to rename, and control plalists easily. This functionality is crucial to get right. I am sure this is mostly a labour of love, and your not making tons of money doing it, but regardless, the app needs to support basic user functions better. Eye candy and super advanced features are great, but basic functionality will ALWAYS be more important to the vast majority of users.

It wil be well worth your while to where possible allow playlists to be renamed - perhaps develop a small desktop app that allows this if it is easier than trying to implement it on the player. It doesn't have to be pretty, it just needs to work. I should be able to name a playlist such as electronic tunes or whatever, a date stamp is basically useless. As a non developer, I have no idea how complicated these suggestions would be, but ideally I should be able to:

create a playlist > rename it or better yet, name it as I create it > have that playlist either remain active for adding files to right away or save and close it.

If you can make a playlist object that gives the user the choice of keeping it open then if you could have it so that the app remembers what playlist was active, allow the user to select songs and have them automatically added to active playlist (perhaps have the active playlist being edited displayed somewhere on the screen?)

Another very important feature would be the ability to reorder the tracks in a playlist. As I said, I realise that what I am suggesting might be a great deal of work, but if you want to make Neutron a trully great app, it needs to have basic user functions down cold. Basic functions should always come before advanced features, absolutely always, never any doubt about that. You might even consider trying to recoup some of your time by greating the playlist enhanced version and charging say $2 more for it. I would gladly pay that amount to be able to control playlists. As it stands now, I will likely end up using an inferior sounding player on my Z10 as long as it allows me to create useful playlists. Nobody wants to just listen to albums or artists, we get way bored very quickly and have to kill time and battery life changing what we are listening to. Powerful playlist editing will solve that and show people just how killer an app designer you really are.

The Grudge

Re: Playlists

Post by The Grudge » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:20 am

I just tried working with the existing playlist I had created and I can't even add a track to it despite going through all the steps in the FAQ. I go to a song, long select it then tap the add to playlist item > go to the screen where I see the playlist and can't seem to select it no matter what I do. I try tapping, holding, nothing happens. I tried turning the headphone icon red (which I assume means selected?) then I hit the check mark button, nothing gets added to the playlist. Really not a very functional setup. Plenty of room on the screen to add basic user help info that tells you how to do it there. If you don't want to add bloat to the app with help text, no worries, but why is it so hard to select the playlist?

The Grudge

Post by The Grudge » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:31 am

Just went into the basic music player included in the Z10 and in a few very short steps created a playlist, added songs and then after saying I was done I was instantly given an editable text field that allowed me to rename the playlist. Now I realise Blackberry easily can build this into their player as they have full access to the API, but hopefully there is something that Neutron can get into the player.

The Grudge

Post by The Grudge » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:44 am

Ignore everything I have just said, found out how to do this in Neutron. A little extra work perhaps, but the feature is there. My sincerest apology for not having noticed this. Cheers.

Rewjrii

Post by Rewjrii » Fri May 15, 2020 9:52 am

Care to enlighten those of us new here? I spent a couple hours yesterday with the same conundrum. I did finally create and name a playlist, but can't figure out how to re-order the songs. They seem to be random, or sorted by title only maybe. I did find some sort options, but thats not the same as being able to line up a set, in a desired order, and have songs play sequentially for a program.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Fri May 15, 2020 11:32 am

Rewjrii wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:52 am
Care to enlighten those of us new here? I spent a couple hours yesterday with the same conundrum. I did finally create and name a playlist, but can't figure out how to re-order the songs. They seem to be random, or sorted by title only maybe. I did find some sort options, but thats not the same as being able to line up a set, in a desired order, and have songs play sequentially for a program.
Drag via the arrows on the left side to reorder.
playlist-order-1.PNG
playlist-order-1.PNG (47 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
playlist-order-2.PNG
playlist-order-2.PNG (44.26 KiB) Viewed 3061 times

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:04 am

any success ?