Galaxy Note 3 and other top phones for Car Stereo

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
danvolker

Galaxy Note 3 and other top phones for Car Stereo

Post by danvolker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:14 pm

I am building a website for a Jazz Composer --which will offer a great deal of 24 bit 96hz to 192 hz downloadable music..which we would like to get into audiophile grade Smart Phones so that this music can be played in high end automobiles ( i.e, Cadillac, Corvette, Jaguar, or even something like my Ford Raptor( which has a good sound system compared to most cars).

The Neutron sounds like a no-brainer, as something for me to write up in our website, as a means to better enjoyment of high quality music...Helping to allow our fan base to see even greater differences between our music and most of what has been pulled from I tunes. So I will be including Neutron as a primary "must have" accessory to the optimal Android Smart Phone.

I would like to know if there is any information on the sound quality differences which will occur from the Bluetooth connection, versus whatever other methods may be available to playback music from a phone like the Galaxy Note 3 or 3, or the S4.
Is Bluetooth the way to go? Is there a better way for the typical fan that may be unwilling to buy the USB DAC in addition to the Note 3 or other expensive new phone....? Are all Bluetooth connections/transmitters/receivers for phones and cars essentially equal? Of not, what suggestions are there for best playback, without forcing a $500 or more purchase on a large market base that just bought an expensive phone? For the true Audiophiles that won't care so much about another $500 to $1000, what is the best way to transmit from DAC ( or from phone like Note3) to Car Stereo ? ?

petersonz

Re: Galaxy Note 3 and other top phones for Car Stereo

Post by petersonz » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:26 am

I would argue that for the Audiophiles, using a USB OTG DAC is a bad idea in the car. Most of the ones Ive seen require a seperate USB app from the Play store that bypasses or disables some elements of the players in Android, or is buggy for some reason like dropping the connection to the OTG DAC device when the screen times out and locks.

Instead, I would opt for using SPDIF/TOSLink out of the tablet/phone to a car audio/mobile specific DAC like the Audison bit Ten D which takes Toslink/Fiber in, and either balanced/unbalanced Analog RCA's out (For 3rd party amps), or digital out (For Audison's own amps).

In this fashion, Audiophiles/Control Freaks can combine any combination of players, software DSP's, and mobile audio specific DAC's while the signal remains all digital until it finally hits that last AMP before the speakers in the car.

I recently tried Alpine's "Advanced Bluetooth" on a 1 week old deck to my 2 week old Samsung Note 8.0 with Android 4.2, and I can tell you, the sound quality, noise, and yes, sometimes cross talk with other nearby cars using their Bluetooth, makes for a poor option for the Audiophile.

For now, Im suffering along with the 1/8th jack into my AudioControl Three.2 and RCA's out to my Rockford Power 400 Amp and it sounds much better than the "advanced bluetooth".

nitephlight

Re: Galaxy Note 3 and other top phones for Car Stereo

Post by nitephlight » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:58 am

actually phones out now (like my HTC One) support apt-x bluetooth profile which is touted as being indistinguishable from analog (smartphone) output. I'll find out soon, but keep in mind that while neutron supports 24bit 96+khz, Android as an OS does not.. therefore purists will dismiss anything but USB DAC to (insert expensive components here lol).

but car audio is a very different listening environment than headphones! i have wildly different configurations for car and cans- truthfully i stream 320kbps MP3 all day and often times ive convinced myself that the MP3 sounds better in fact due to tighter inherent bass which coupled with a good sub sounds better than the burden of trying to tease apart all the mids youll get from your side door woofers (setting those crossover frequencies is a nightmare).

htc one and galaxy s4 both have to be rooted to truly shine with beats/clearaudio/etc libs + viper4android post processing and neutron as player :-)