Streaming

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
TheStanger

Re: Streaming

Post by TheStanger » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Just curious if there has been any more development on network streaming for the Playbook?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:30 pm

If you mean the discussed functionality to support DNLA/UPnP then this is in to-do list and will be implemented with time being.

croccodillo

Post by croccodillo » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:28 pm

Hello,

My first post here.
My name is Giovanni, I'm from Italy, and I discovered your marvellous software just yesterday.
I downloaded the trial version from Google market, and I really falled in love with the app, and its sound quality.
Unfortunately for me is missing a great thing; the UPNP/DLNA protocol.
I have a server on which all my audio/video media are stored; on this server runs a UPNP/DLNA server (serviio) and a MediaHouse server (bubbleUPNP server), which feed all my media to several meida renderer.
I'm now using bubbleUPNP on my smartphone to play music, but I'm not exactly happy of its sound quality.
As you can imagine, for me would be a great issue to go back to local media on he smartphone, when I can have a centralized database.
Please tell me that the UPNP/DLNA protocol is being implemented in your player.

If you implement it, I would buy the app immediately; without this feature, it is unfortunately almost useless to me.

Ciao,
Giovanni

netizensmith

Post by netizensmith » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi,

Great player. Needs DLNA though (which you already know). However, I see talk of making some app that runs on a PC? This is not the way to solve the problem. People have NAS drives with DLNA built into them. If you supported DLNA directly in the neutron app then we could access these music libraries without having to have the computer switched on. I already have a million ways to play music when I have the PC turned on. What people need is a way to access any DLNA server.

Best of luck!
Brad

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:17 am

Yes, I checked:
- DNLA/UPNP
- CIFS/SAMBA (used by NAS drive to share their contents as virtual file system)

Probably, I tend to implement CIFS/SAMBA first and then DNLA. Why? CIFS/SAMBA is used for file sharing over network by NAS drives and emulate real file system, so Neutron would have source as NAS and will be able to operate with files as if they are on local storage. DNLA have limitations and will require additional UI interface section.

croccodillo

Post by croccodillo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:37 am

dmitrykos wrote:Yes, I checked:
- DNLA/UPNP

Probably, I tend to implement CIFS/SAMBA first and then DNLA. Why? CIFS/SAMBA is used for file sharing over network by NAS drives and emulate real file system, so Neutron would have source as NAS and will be able to operate with files as if they are on local storage. DNLA have limitations and will require additional UI interface section.
Great!
To add CIFS/SAMBA support would be a great thing, as you already realized the most of installations in real life can make use of file sharing services (NAS, server, etc.).
For me, I could live with it; actually I have a file server running 24/7, which I use also as a DLNA/OpenHome server.
I could setup a share for all of my media files, and access them from Neutronmp via Samba.

regarding DLNA, please check BubbleUPNP server, it is a marvellous piece of code, and addresses most of the DLNA issues you have already encountered.

Moreover, I would check the OpenHome foundation, they seem to develop a new standard for Home entertainment network.

I will wait for news!

Thank you very much,
Giovanni

netizensmith

Post by netizensmith » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:34 pm

dmitrykos wrote:Yes, I checked:
- DNLA/UPNP

Personally SAMBA support would be even better than DLNA as it'd mean I could switch off the dlna server on my NAS.

If you need anyone to test then I'd be happy too. I have the Android and Playbook versions of Neutron MP now (the Walkman player on my Xperia S couldn't reliably play FLAC files but of course Neutron does it effortlessly).

My plan (in case you're interested) is to use my Playbook as both the controller and player of my FLAC collection. I'll just leave it with the HiFi all the time. Sadly RIM decided to place the HDMI socket next to the battery charger so it's inaccessible whilst in the dock :-(. Looks like I'll have to craft something myself...

Anyway, pleased to hear this is being worked on. Good luck!

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:59 pm

netizensmith, thank you for the proposed help with testing. I have NAS drives too which are ok for SAMBA support development but later broader testing after first release of the feature will be necessary of course, for further polishing. I like SAMBA/CIFS because in Neutron there will appear new possibility to select networking drive (and/or its folders) while creating new source entry. No other changes in UI will be necessary. Then after scanning music entries will exist in Neutron's database as if they are sourced from local storage, thus in comparison with DNLA it is much more convenient and thus will go first for the implementation.

netizensmith

Post by netizensmith » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:51 pm

That sounds like an excellent way to implement NAS support. Best of luck with it. Two more neutron users in my office now after showing them the Android phone version :)

croccodillo

Post by croccodillo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:28 am

Hello,

Just my consideration:
I installed cifs manager on my HTC desire, and mounted on it my server share where my media are stored.
Actually, I have something like 128 GB = 1600 albums = 23000 songs stored on my server share...
In this situation, CIFS manager was practically impossible to be used, it was too slow, it froze during the mount process, probably due to the enourmous dimension of my library...
UPNP/DLNA would be much better, because the UPNP/DLNA server would run on the server, and do the most of the job, feeding the player with only the needed informations.
I'm not saying we cannot live with samba shares, but be really carefull, a good implementation MUST be able to handle really big media library, these days.
I've seen too many MP3 playes, in the past, unable to handle big libraries; all of them ended badly.
I really, really like your idea of write a dedicated media server to berun on the server side: please me let know if you need any help, I'm quite a good programmer on Windows world.

What about plugins?
Would we be able to write a plugin which connect to a remote dedicated media server and feed the neutrommp player with media?
This way we could have a "package" composed by a plugin + a server sw.

Ciao,
Giovanni