Option to Disable All Database Functionalities?

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
gawl

Option to Disable All Database Functionalities?

Post by gawl » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:04 pm

I have purchased the Neutrom Music Player, because it is stable and offers gapless playback of FLAC+cuesheet in excellent sound quality. Wonderful! :D
But maybe this is already all that I have in common with the "ordinary music listener", because all these database features drive me crazy:

-- I have two USB hard drives that I can connect to my Android tablet, one with FLAC files (approx. 3000), and one with MP3s (more than 30000).

Now, I tested the MP3 drive, with the result that instead of being able to listening to music, I had to wait for ages because the Neutron Player browses through all the zillions of files, and after all those ages, it freezes with a message saying "low memory". But when I disable the "USB0" mount point in the "Sources" menu, then I have nothing at all, because the directory structure ("Folders" menu/panel) is not updated either.

I know that it is a lot of stuff to have 300 GB plus 1 TB on several hard drives. But this is why I have organised all music files in a directory structure so that I am able to access all music that I want with a small number of taps, by simply browsing through this directory structure manually. In other word: I simply do not want all this "Browse by Artist", "Browse by Wahtever" stuff anyway.

So, my question is: Is there any possibility to use the Neutron Music Player this way, simply browsing through the currently existing directory structure and select the file(s) I want, and without having the hard drives searched over and over again for information that I don't need anyway?

(Yes, I know that I may sound a bit like a grinch, not wanting all these nice features, but sorry, all this simply doesn't work and therefore doesn't make much sense with a 1 TB hard drive. I would just prefer having an excellently sounding music player :)

ToddMWorth

Re: Option to Disable All Database Functionalities?

Post by ToddMWorth » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:48 am

Why not just fix it rather than remove it?

gawl

Post by gawl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:07 pm

Yes, I agree: If the browsing through a directory structure worked like expected, i.e. would always display the really existing files+folders (even for a device with "Update" being disabled under "Sources"), then everything would be perfect!
In other words: What annoys me is that I am forced to disable the "Update" for a storage device with big capacity, but if I do this then *no* type of correctly accessing the data is functional anymore. The browsing through the directory structure should always work, independently of the "Update" setting.

Liveinthemoment

Post by Liveinthemoment » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:48 am

This is so easy to do.

Simply download X-plore by Lonelycat. Use this to navigate to your files. Click on a file and you can choose what the default player will be to play your files.

gawl

Post by gawl » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:47 pm

Liveinthemoment wrote:This is so easy to do.
Thanks for this idea, because I did not know the "X-Plore" yet, which is now my favourite file browser app.

However, sorry, this idea only works partially for me, because it fails for all the CUE+FLAC combinations (neither for cuesheets embedded into the flac, nor for external cuesheets). Of course, what I would like to have is opening a CUE+FLAC in a way such that the individual music tracks defined by the cuesheet are displayed and handled, and this seems not to be the case the way you suggest. (If you are not sure what I am thinking of have a look at how cuesheets are handled by andLess and/or HikiPlayer.)