Re 4-band parametric equalizer (question about low shelf Q f

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
Joe Bloggs

Re 4-band parametric equalizer (question about low shelf Q f

Post by Joe Bloggs » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:06 am

It's great to finally have a parametric equalizer on Android. I just wish there could be more than 4 bands, it's not enough to approximate the filtering of resonant peaks I do with some of my phones on the computer.

Also what's the Q factor of the low shelf and high shelf bands? It's not adjustable and not shown in the trial version. What about in the full version? Is it adjustable?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Re 4-band parametric equalizer (question about low shelf

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi! :D

Yes, Neutron looks to be the only one music player with own audio rendering framework, including Parametric EQ.

> What about in the full version? Is it adjustable?

Eval version is the same as Trial, except it has expiry time. So the functionality is the same. Q is currently not modifiable through UI but will be in next release (already done in dev. version).

> more than 4 bands

Adding more bands will add load to CPU. 1 Ghz devices may not live with it well. With dual-core devices situation is easier (like Galaxy S II). Anyway adding additional EQ with its UI will require work in UI and can't be done quick. First current road of features shall be finished to try going for it.

Joe Bloggs

Post by Joe Bloggs » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:49 am

Hi :) Ok here's an easier one for you: unlock the frequency adjustment range of the mid bands? It seems even the higher mid2 band is capped at 8000Hz now. All the things I want to adjust onmy current phones are above that! :o I can type any arbitrary number for the frequency but if my typed value is outside of the slider range it seems the actual filter is capped at the max pr min value anyway. I don't think there should be any technical difficulty removing these caps? :D

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:04 am

There is problem with UI sliders if frequency range is too big, e.g. slight change of slider will lead to considerable change in frequency. I propose to have limitless frequency setting through manual number enter with keyboard. It will be done for next release which will be today (due to hot fix of UI rendering engine for some specific devices).

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:38 am

To confirm:

In next version release min/max limits for all 4 filters are set as:

min = 10 Hz
max = 22050 hz

These values can be changed only through textual entry of needed frequency number. Sliders will work as usual.

I do not know how useful for users would be having possibility to change Shelf filters to Peaking EQ. Currently it is not changeable but can be implemented if really necessary.

Gadgety

Post by Gadgety » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:09 pm

Android phones and tabs are getting more advanced and powerful with each new generation. I find that the more advanced features you implement the better. I have a Tact amplifier in my home setup. Through the Tact software one can tune sound down to 1 hz increments (in other words a 20.000 band equalizer). Sound curves can be tailored, and, barring the room interaction, only the speakers set the limit. Ideally, in future generations of your fantastic product, I'd like to see more advanced features for tailoring the sound. Possibly you could sell different versions of your app, because some advanced features only appeal to certain users.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:45 pm

If I go for more than 4 bands for Neutron's Parametric EQ then it will be done in one of the subsequent updates. Probably there will be possibility to change type of EQ from the Neutron's settings. But currently there are other tasks to complete first.

Joe Bloggs

Post by Joe Bloggs » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:16 am

Yes it would be useful for me to change the high shelf into a peak filter. Actually I think the most flexible way of implementing the para eq would be to let the user to add and delete any number of bands of his own chosen type. This way the user can customize the CPU load to the level his device can bear while getting the maximum customization of sound.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:13 am

I will think about adding multi-band EQ with possibility to modify N of bands.

Joe Bloggs

Post by Joe Bloggs » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Great :D