Delete Artist(s)/Album(s)/Song(s)

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
rs219

Delete Artist(s)/Album(s)/Song(s)

Post by rs219 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:14 pm

Need ability to delete an artist(s), album(s) or song(s). If the capability is there, it is not obvious as I've tried everything and it does not appear that you can do it.

rs219

Re: Delete Artist(s)/Album(s)/Song(s)

Post by rs219 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:32 pm

I've discovered a workaround, but it is very unpleasant. Go to another music player that has the ability to delete an album(s) or artist(s). Then go back to Neutron and it is gone. If you have a Samsung Galaxy as I have, their music player can delete album(s).

Is there any way to make deleting an artist(s), album(s) or song(s) a high priority?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:20 am

There is no ability to delete files but Neutron allows ignoring of some individual songs. The intention behind this is to be safe from user's misusage of functionality and deletion of music files.

What I could propose is to add ignoring by Album/Artist but such functionality is not very often needed and additional buttons would increase UI complexity.

Another way of ignoring music files is to go to Folders from Playlist screen and ignore whole folders. Would it be suitable?

rs219

Post by rs219 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:59 am

While I appreciate your suggestion, there is absolutely a need to be able to actually delete. Hiding artists/albums/songs actually makes the situation worse.

Please consider that SD cards have limited storage (even at 32GB, when you store FLAC files space can run out very fast) and that is one of the reasons for being able to physically delete.

If you are worried that users will accidently delete something they do not intend to delete, I would counter propose that you simply add a "Are you sure you want to delete?" with default "N" pop-up dialog box. Do you find that to be an acceptable solution?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:21 pm

I was thinking about physical file management but besides music files there are usually other files in directories which may be not related to music. So I am afraid of blaming Neutron for loosing some content from SD (and blaming happens very easily in Android Market comments) and thus did not give such functionality to it. At last, user can use any File Manager shipped with device to delete unneeded music files and other file content.

Anyway, let's consider this functionality for possible future implementation, when everything else in UI is completed.

rs219

Post by rs219 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks for your willingness to consider this function.

You make a good point about files. If you let your music management software copy the songs to your player from your desktop (i.e. MediaMonkey or Winamp), there is a likelihood that all songs go to the top level of your internal or external storage. In this scenario, I am guessing that any album art you want is either not available or all has to go in to the same directory?

The better way to manage, and largely it is best to manage manually, is to copy your artist/album folders (which would contain album art). Then a delete operation could be done on the folder which would really remove everything.

I'm new to Android, so just found the File Manager and that takes care of the problem until you can think about an integrated solution in Neutron.

Thanks again!

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:59 am

> I am guessing that any album art you want is either not available or all has to go in to the same directory?

Well. When I copy some music from PC I usually have /music folder on internal and external SDs and store everything there. Neutron's Playlist #1 is pointed to these both directories. In such way you have all music stored in specific place. Album art files shall be inside directory which contains music files of some album, or be built-into tags. There is also free and easy to use Cover Art Downloader app in android Market which will help to get missing art.