Performance question

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
jazznblues

Performance question

Post by jazznblues » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi! Thanks for a completely innovative music player for the mobile platform!

I just started testing. And I discovered that Neutron can't play APE (Monkey's Audio) files that are compressed with the maximum "Insane" compression level. I don't think that I will need to play a lot of such files in the future, but it would be nice, if Neutron can play such files without reencoding them to flac, for example. PowerAmp player experience similar problems with Insanely compressed APEs, but in PA this issue is solved with a Very Large Buffer option (DeadBeef plays them without any options modding). I guess that APE codec is the most "heavy" lossless codec of all and it requires a lot of CPU power for decoding. But maybe it is still possible to make such files playable somehow. It would also be useful if You add a Buffer Size option in the future versions of Neutron MP.

My hardware: Samsung Galaxy S Plus (overclocked up to 1500Mhz)
My OS: custom 2.3.6, custom kernel with sound fixes

Thanks for Your work!

With great respect, Dmitry (Russia).

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Performance question

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi Dmitry!

> APE .. the maximum "Insane" compression level .. is still possible to make such files playable somehow

Thank you very much for the report, will check it and fix. I have sample APEs but not of such compression. The problem may be in decoder setup...

> APE codec is the most "heavy" lossless codec

WavPack is on the first place to my view but APE is also heavy for CPU, it is true. Neutron has complex audio core and shall manage even such codecs in real-time without dropouts.

> Buffer Size option

In Neutron UI -> Settings -> Audio Hardware -> you will notice HW Latency. It acts similarly to what you mean. But if you do not hear pops and clicks then I advise not to modify it, or you can even try to decrease it to lowest value and have less delay between spectrum analyzer and audio.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

jazznblues

Post by jazznblues » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:52 am

Hi! Just bought Your software to support Your efforts.

Did You checked the problem with the Insane APE compression?

Thanks again for the best audio player for Android. We hope it will be even better! :)

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:59 am

The insane compression review is still under way. I hope it will allow real-time playback.

jazznblues

Post by jazznblues » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:02 am

Hi. Unfortunately, I have to report that I was forced to roll back to 1.47 NEON version. When I use 1.48 NEON I experience great performance problems with APE files playback. I don't know the exact compression level of this APE file, but what I know exactly, is that it is not Insanely compressed and that it is played perfectly in 1.47 with default (!) HWL-SWL settings. I hear noticeable artifacts (pops & clicks) in 1.48 version even with maximum (!) HWL-SWL settings. In 1.48 version with default HWL-SWL settings this file becomes completely unplayable.

The other thing that I noticed is that in 1.48 version I got a significant decrease in output volume. This is another great problem.

Hope it is possible to correct this problems.

With great respect, Dmitry.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:45 am

Hi Dmitry!

I already have user reports and all of them seem to be united by one single change which was done in 1.48: usage of OpenSL ES native API for audio output. Google advertised it as better API for native app which skips interaction with Java on JNI level. OpenSL ES exists since 2.3. While it works good for me, I noticed that this change led to bad behavior for some devices and some custom ROMs. I suspect this is due to bugs in OpenSL ES implementation on Android ROM side.

So, in coming hot-fix release I am reverting back to what was before and things will become as usual. I also noticed OpenSL ES playback is not that stable when CPU is loaded (pops & clicks) and thus playing back CPU hungry formats like APE could lead to problems.

It would be great if you could provide feedback after next release, whether these problems are fixed for you.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

jazznblues

Post by jazznblues » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:13 am

Ok. Thanks for Your superfast support. I need some time to check this out.

jazznblues

Post by jazznblues » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:13 pm

It seems that everything is ok.