HTC Beats Audio & SRS support

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
o0o

HTC Beats Audio & SRS support

Post by o0o » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi, or may I say привет? 8-)

Recently Poweramp developer released a version (2.0.5) of his player that properly supports HTC's firmware audio output and Beats Audio enhancement option. It's really a cool thing, since I like Beats with most of my music. Also I've noticed HTC have something fishy going on with their audio output, that makes volume of all 3rd party players lower comparing to a stock player or Poweramp v2.0.5 (even with Beats off). So the question is: are you planning to implement support for HTC firmwares just like Poweramp dude did? That's the only thing that stops me now from buying and completely switching to your fantastic sounding player!

Well, there are 3 more things in a wishlist:
1) switching tracks and albums by sliding an album art
2) automatic downloading of a missing album art
3) Яндекс.Деньги as payment option

Best regards,
тезка ))

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: HTC Beats Audio & SRS support

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi тёзка! :)

I will analyze HTC's firmware source-code and see if I can support it with Neutron.
> switching tracks and albums by sliding an album art
Was planning to add album art swyping as an option to Settings -> UI. Currently swyping this area is causing rotation of functional screens.
automatic downloading of a missing album art
This feature will (if ever) be the last for implementation. The reason is that there are many free Android apps (like 'Cover Art Downloader') which do such job very good and I could concentrate on more actual things in Neutron. I advise you to try that app.
Яндекс.Деньги as payment option
Currently Android Market is the only option available. Other payment systems do not provide similar to Android Market licensing systems which allow app to validate self.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

o0o

Post by o0o » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Thanx for suggesting Cover Art Downloader, it's really does the job well!
Was planning to add album art swyping as an option to Settings -> UI. Currently swyping this area is causing rotation of functional screens.
Just do it! It's a great way to navigate through the library. Make it left-right for tracks & up-down for albums - or make it customizable ;)
I will analyze HTC's firmware source-code and see if I can support it with Neutron.
Петров did that already for his Poweramp, so u should be able to do it as well! I guess it has something to do with DVC support or something...

Check http://htcdev.com/devcenter/downloads - if that may help. Senation XE & Senation XL are the ones with Beats Audio.

Спасибо большое in advance, I hope it will be an easy task to accomplish. :)

Best regards!

o0o

Post by o0o » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:44 pm

I can see lots of development happening recently - cool stuff! :) Дим, any chance to expect support for HTC audio APIs anytime soon?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:43 am

I will try! I was forced to release updates due to bugs but my main goal is fully functional Landscape mode. I already got necessary information regarding HTC Beats Audio, so will try to implement it as well.

o0o

Post by o0o » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:06 pm

Hi. :)

Tell me pls if there any hope to expect DVC and Beats support for HTC devices?

Thx

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:12 am

Hi! :)

I was looking to this question but postponed its development for this moment due to the following reasons:

1) This technology is limited only to some HTC devices;
2) Applying additional audio processing on top of Neutron (if used EQ or other effects) wouldn't it be too much?
3) Isn't parametric EQ of Neutron able to provide similar to Beats results?
4) It looks like Beats is not hardware accelerated feature but software solution, so using it in conjunction with Neutron would consume more CPU and battery;
5) Neutron uses 2 audio drivers: AudioTrack and OpenSL ES: because Beats does not have official API it is not possible to activate it with OpenSL ES driver and thus I am reluctant to such partial support;
6) It is already possible to use Beats without enabling it through player software (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1525226).

Best regards,
Dmitry.

Bjrmd

Post by Bjrmd » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:56 am

Wouldn't waste time with Beats--looks like a PR scam

http://tunelab.com/2011/08/16/what-exac ... io-anyway/

Certainly not in the league of neutron!

In addition the latest HTC One series appears to have poor audio output quality so I don't think they (HTC) care about true sound quality, just advertising

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:55 pm

At first I thought that Beats was some on-chip DSP improvement. But in the long run it appears that HTC's Beats technology is simply a software DSP effect (some equalization stuff?). To my personal view Neutron's parametric EQ provides necessary means for correcting audio and shall be sufficient.