Request for a new scanning mode

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
ira delphic

Request for a new scanning mode

Post by ira delphic » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:05 pm

I tested Neutron with a Nexus 10 tablet, accessing a very large collection of music on a SMB share. I selected the folder with the music, and after many hours of scanning/indexing it hung.

I don't need or want the music to be indexed/scanned. The directory structure is all in the order I need. Can I just use Neutron to play folders on a SMB share and skip the scanning step?
If not, is it a planned feature? In other words, I think it would be useful to be able to use Neutron, as an option, for playing folders.

Let's say you're visiting a friend and want to have access to their LAN to listen to some music. Isn't it reasonable to be able to play a single folder instead of being forced to scan all the folders that contain music?

Other than that a very fine player. A shame because I would love to use it.
Last edited by blaubär on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: after merge with another topic and further discussions we'll have to generalize this a bit

Outsider4

Re: Disable indexing for LAN SMB

Post by Outsider4 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:34 pm

This is an older post, but it reflects one of my observation/ pet pevess and I agree wholeheartedly. My thought was to just scan the folder structure on connection but not the files in the folder until a file in that folder is accessed, which unless it contains a huge amount of files, would be a quick process that could happen in the background.

l0ssl3ss

Post by l0ssl3ss » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:51 pm

This would be really useful. Any update on that for future releases?

emilio

Play by ftp or SMB without synchronization

Post by emilio » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi,

I'm used to play my FLAC collection from the network sources and since I've purchased Zyxel NAS - I've decided to continue this practice.
But it is really annoying when you'd synchronize your stuff each time you've changed something.

Is there any chance to see the choice - use Neutron as media library (sync content) or just play your collection directly from SMB/FTP shares?

Thanks

emilio

Post by emilio » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:12 pm

Any update on that for future releases?

Outsider4

Post by Outsider4 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:05 pm

I'm still really interested in this... any update?

Roj

Re: Disable i

Post by Roj » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:58 pm

First off, this is my go-to app for audio playback and has been for at least three years. I have also recommended it far and wide.

Please please please add this capability. It is my one and only nit with this app.

I am using Neutron as the front-end to my flac collection on an iPad Air 2 via an external USB DAC to my audio system and I have 110,000 flac files on my Linux SMB-based NAS. No, that’s NOT a typo.

You can appreciate why on-the-fly browsing of a painstakingly laid out folder structure is important to me. A complete scan of same takes over an hour and an update scan takes at least five minutes.

Failing that, can you add the facility to allow other apps like FikeBrowser to sream folders, groups of files or individual files from a SMB-based NAS directly to Neutron with the option to either play the files immediately or add them to the existing queue?

Thanks very much...

emilio

Re: Play by ftp or SMB without synchronization

Post by emilio » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:28 am

No help?

Thanks

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:43 am

I saw that you've also written in this topic in Development - is it that what you want ?
ira delphic wrote:
Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:05 pm
I don't need or want the music to be indexed/scanned. The directory structure is all in the order I need. Can I just use Neutron to play folders on a SMB share and skip the scanning step?
If not, is it a planned feature? In other words, I think it would be useful to be able to use Neutron, as an option, for playing folders.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:56 am

NMP uses a file/track/stream as the elementary unit for playing. Folders, whether local or remote, are complex objects. There isn't a single canonical way to sequence the contents of a folder - or is there ? How would you want a local directory, to take the simplest case, to be treated ? And that would have to be implemented into the software layer that reads the source, so that NMP can treat the directory as a single stream.